• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Small details (1 Viewer)

William Lewis

United Kingdom
I've just been out for a walk and thought of a couple of small details with my binoculars that could make a big difference to them at little cost to their manufacturer. I thought, why not start a thread about them, feel free to air any little gripes with yours - easily fixable things not major optical train alterations, you never know they might end up fixed in a future update if anyone's listening!

Ill set off, binocular swarovski 7x42ga habicht.

1. Rain guard not large enough to cover eye pieces when ipd set at anything other than no nose mode.

2. Make focus wheel slightly larger in diameter to make focus action lighter.

Thats it.

William Lewis

United Kingdom
Sounds like lens caps are a common bug bear! I don't use objective ones any more but used to be frustrated when they re-attached themselves without any intervention while hanging round my neck on my old trinovid hd's and i'd end up looking through a monocular!

I'll second opticrons after market range, I use their neck strap and case with the habichts.

Locking diopters should be industry standard practice.

yarrellii

Supporter
IPD-scales on roofs.
So true, so cheap to implement.

I'll add:

- Neck straps that attach to the loop on the binoculars with a simple clip/button, like in older models (Swarovski offers of on some straps, and I love it, have bought several ones for this reason).

- Cases for compact/pocket binoculars that are compact, usable, have a loop to wear them on a belt... I've used so many small binoculars that failed this (Swarovski EL8x32, CL 8x32, Opticron Traveller 8x32, Leica UV 8x20, Zeiss Terra 8x25, Meostar 8x32...).

Trinovid 8x32b

United States
They hold their position reliably on my UV 8x20. I'd write a friendly email to the Leica service.
They don't hold at all like the screw-out cups do, especially when these "pocket binoculars" are carried in pockets, which was the reason for putting it on this list.
The click stop works fine for light usage and carry mode though...

fazalmajid

Supporter
United States
Standard 1/4"-20 screw threads on binocular hinges so they can easily be attached to a tripod, e.g. using these:

Oddly, low-end and midrange models often have these but alphas are lacking, so people jury-rig things like this:

William Lewis

United Kingdom
Standard 1/4"-20 screw threads on binocular hinges so they can easily be attached to a tripod, e.g. using these:

Oddly, low-end and midrange models often have these but alphas are lacking, so people jury-rig things like this:

Yes to this, why isn't it industry standard? I've heard the SLC version is good but it's an expensive extra.

IPD-scales on roofs.

Fortunately my habichts have one - good job they do with the rain guard issue meaning regular adjustment!

Hermann

Filter threads. Very useful, for instance for using additional lenshoods in difficult weather.

A tripod bush. These ridiculous contraptions Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss are trying to sell us to put their roofs on a tripod or monopod are a bad joke. They are also ludicrously expensive for what they are.

BTW, the Canon 10x42 IS has both filter threads and a tripod bush ... :cool:

Hermann

William Lewis

United Kingdom
Again a good simple one that manufacturers could easily do, even better that I guess the thread pitch etc it already in photo industry standards.

I know of some circumstances where a brighter (yellow) filter would greatly aid in seeing things in low light from my experience of brightening up dull days in winter with yellow safety glasses at work. You could even put polairsing filters onto cheaper bins to upgrade them at little cost.

Users who are viewing this thread