• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small gulls in Hokkaido Japan (1 Viewer)

HokkaidoStu

occasional moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I was watching large numbers of Black Legged Kittiwake passing through Yakumo today and I suspect there were some interesting things among them.

I have some ideas about this/these bird(s) but want to get some more knowledgeable people's opinions first.

These 4 pics are all of the same individual. Crappy 100% crops, sorry.

Any ideas/opinions gratefully received..............

My first thought here was Saunders Gull (I'd seen one earlier in the year at the same spot) but the bill appears rather short.

Attachments

• _MG_9753.JPG
    _MG_9753.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 73
  • _MG_9754.JPG
    _MG_9754.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 84
  • _MG_9755.JPG
    _MG_9755.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 71
  • _MG_9757.JPG
    _MG_9757.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 70
And here is another individual (not the same one I think but because of the different lighting I'm not 100% sure).

It's the bird in the centre, in among the Black Legged Kittiwakes.

My first thought here was Red Legged Kittiwake.

Attachments

• _MG_9830.JPG
    _MG_9830.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 81
  • _MG_9831.JPG
    _MG_9831.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 72
Before I opened the thumbnails I thought 'Ross's,' but the grey on the nape and, particularly, the forked tail rule that out. As Red-legged Kittiwake is the only other gull with bright red legs (#6) that you'd possibly find around Hokkaido now I think you're right. BTW I will see one, one day.

Chris

Thanks Chris.

I thought Ross's too but no wedge shaped tail.

Do you think the birds in post 1 and 2 are the same or different? Me and the wife spent 5 minutes staring at the computer screen and we weren't sure........

I can't tell from the photos I'm afraid. I would think it unlikely there would be two birds, given the scarcity in Japan. Where abouts was it / were they? I've got one more visit this year and I may be able to wrangle a few days off. :t:

Chris

It was at the mouth of the River Yurrapu in Yakumo...........

You think they are both Red Legged Kittiwakes then?

They are seen annually just to the north of Hakodate, at this time of year after strong easterlies. Difficult to find among all the Black Leggeds. It will/would be a lifer for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back