• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small Mouse ID please (1 Viewer)

vilbs

Hi there back from holiday and have 3 non-bird ID's if anyone is able to. All taken in Gloucestershire, England within the last week.

Filmed by my pond there are lots of this little rodent. I have another video where it is playing / fighting with a similar rodent. Sweet thing whatever it is.

First few seconds are slowed down for ID and then the full video normal speed for context to see it running over the rocks.

Wood Mouse I'd say, pattern looks right. Hard to judge size exactly and I think you would be in range for Yellow-necked, but I can't see the breast to check the band and I can see a dark line down the middle of the back so I definitely tend to Woodie.

John

Wood Mouse I'd say, pattern looks right. Hard to judge size exactly and I think you would be in range for Yellow-necked, but I can't see the breast to check the band and I can see a dark line down the middle of the back so I definitely tend to Woodie.

John
Thanks John. Will read up on Yellow-necked and check some of the other videos in case. Just out of interest is the (newly confirmed) rat a predator for them? As they are both hanging around in the same territory.

Thanks John. Will read up on Yellow-necked and check some of the other videos in case. Just out of interest is the (newly confirmed) rat a predator for them? As they are both hanging around in the same territory.
Actually yes, I have seen a rat take a Wood Mouse and eat it. But they were both attending bird feeders - so close to each other - and the mouse may have been incautious. One on one in the open I think it's unlikely.

John

Interesting. Thanks. The speed the 2 woodies were flying around I would say they are highly cautious so fingers crossed for their survival! Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back