• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snail from Corsica (1 Viewer)

Val35

Hi, found this snail and several other which I assume belong to the same species in the Restonica valley (Corsica) a little above 1000m. Habitat is a scree with large boulders.
I know there's a few endemic species here but I can't find any documentation to identify them and I have very little knowledge of snails anyways.
They were all pretty large, can't remember exact size, this one must have had a shell of about 2cm in diameter.
Thank you !

DSCN4317.JPG

Your photo seems to be of a Helix species, and one of the endemic species is a Helix; however it was restricted to a small lowland range in the 1990s. Not sure how to identify the endemic anyway. If I find any other info I will let you know.

Your photo seems to be of a Helix species, and one of the endemic species is a Helix; however it was restricted to a small lowland range in the 1990s. Not sure how to identify the endemic anyway. If I find any other info I will let you know.
Thank you ! Yes H.ceratina is our endemic Helix but it is indeed restricted to a very small coastal strip close to Ajaccio. I will check my memory card later because I might have more pictures.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back