• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Snapping turtle in Georgia (1 Viewer)

birdcat

Excuse the poor quality, but I ran across this snapping turtle the other day in Georgia/US. If anyone lives in the area, is this considered a common size? It sort of scared me.

Attachments

• IMG_2690.jpg
    IMG_2690.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15

RJP

Don't live there but this species is all over the eastern U.S. Given the context of the objects around it, it looks fairly large but it is very common that they reach such sizes, and bigger. Up here in northern Indiana I saw one somewhat bigger than that out to lay eggs a week or two ago.

birdcat

Don't live there but this species is all over the eastern U.S. Given the context of the objects around it, it looks fairly large but it is very common that they reach such sizes, and bigger. Up here in northern Indiana I saw one somewhat bigger than that out to lay eggs a week or two ago.
Good to know, thanks for the heads up. I think we saw this one and another battle it out for territory the other day in the lake, but it's quite different crossing paths with one.

Users who are viewing this thread