• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snapping turtle in Georgia (1 Viewer)

birdcat

United States
Excuse the poor quality, but I ran across this snapping turtle the other day in Georgia/US. If anyone lives in the area, is this considered a common size? It sort of scared me.

Attachments

• IMG_2690.jpg
    IMG_2690.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 35
Don't live there but this species is all over the eastern U.S. Given the context of the objects around it, it looks fairly large but it is very common that they reach such sizes, and bigger. Up here in northern Indiana I saw one somewhat bigger than that out to lay eggs a week or two ago.

Don't live there but this species is all over the eastern U.S. Given the context of the objects around it, it looks fairly large but it is very common that they reach such sizes, and bigger. Up here in northern Indiana I saw one somewhat bigger than that out to lay eggs a week or two ago.
Good to know, thanks for the heads up. I think we saw this one and another battle it out for territory the other day in the lake, but it's quite different crossing paths with one.

I have a news cutting showing an enormous alligator snapper found in a ditch (!) in Murcia Province near here in Eastern Spain (I live in Alicante Province). I assume it was someone's 'pet', got too large, & was dumped. (Keeping these is actually illegal here). Quite big enough to take off your fingers. The American Red Eared Terrapin lives in the rivers here in huge numbers, again probably a result of dumping following the Mutant Ninja Turtles film. Some are truly huge.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back