• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Snettisham query (1 Viewer)

Kaella

United Kingdom
Hi, we’re heading to Snettisham next weekend and hope to be there just before dawn to hear and see geese head off feeding for the day. I only have 1 chance to do this (whatever the weather!), can anyone advise if there is a specific place/area to head to? I would hate to waste time faffing about and miss it and only have this 1 chance to get my other half out of bed before dawn! Thanks

PYRTLE

Old Berkshire Boy
There are a couple of other sites, but you need to check the tide times at Snettisham to determine whether the roosting flock of Pinkfeet are on the Wash mudflats or in fields. Also, the overnight cloud cover as some will feed through the night if there is a clear full moon. Check out the RSPB website for details. Good luck with the dawn flight.

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
It’s a bit difficult to miss the viewpoint at Snettisham basically follow the road from the RSPB car park, past the lakes and past the caravan park and stay on the track, walking past the hides, until you can’t walk any further: Unfortunately it is a long walk (about 3 miles round trek). If any of your party have mobility issues, contact Titchwell RSPB and arrange to get a car pass (you’ll need a few days notice) - also, I would avoid using torches once you get to the beach as it disturbs the birds (geese are particularly flighty this time of year from my experience) I wouldn't worry too much about the tide, the geese will just sit on the water.
9475EFF4-40FD-416F-980F-0AB917D437C9.jpeg

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Last edited:

Kaella

United Kingdom
Thank you so much both of you, we are visiting tomorrow during the day and hoping for the night roost and then for dawn flight on Monday morning. The info and map is really helpful 👍
I’ve wanted to do this for years, am so excited!

Users who are viewing this thread