• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snow Buntings (1 Viewer)

Ruby

Hi Guys,

Anyone know a likely spot for Snow Buntings? (preferably not TOO far from Surrey/Kent....)

Ruby.

A good spot is Reculver on the North Kent coast.

Park in the car park at the Towers and walk east along the coast. They are often on the beach there.

There was a report of 25 there on Sunday. You may need to walk as far as Coldharbour lagoon. This an obvious spot where the coast path turns in.

we have had a group of about 50 on the beach of ameland (dutch isle). Guess where Erik's going coming weekend :D
I think Ameland is not what you meant by: surroundings of Surrey/Kent, but who knows what your range is...

Thanks Robin - I'll give that a try.

I did go to Reculver in the summer, when we were camping down near Canterbury. Strange place - bit like stepping 40 years back in time....

I notice that it crops up regularly in the Kent rare bird sitings though....

Ruby

I've just seen two, less than an hour ago, at Brierdene, Whitley Bay (Northumbs). NZ 350 740.

Hey Erik, you've changed your avatar again!! Looks like a domestic Mallard to me ;) All your own work?

Michael

erik said:
I think Ameland is not what you meant by: surroundings of Surrey/Kent, but who knows what your range is...

Errr no, Erik - I draw the line at birding trips that involve cross-channel ferries!!

Good luck with the footie tomorrow BTW - must be a bit tense!!

Ruby

Ruby said:
Hi Guys,

Anyone know a likely spot for Snow Buntings? (preferably not TOO far from Surrey/Kent....)

Ruby.
Apparently 3 were seen at WWT Barnes,London last weekend.....wouldn't need a Ferry ride!

My avatar is Wack, from Ziggy and friends!

Ruby, after a few times reading your last sentence i finally understood what you meant, yeah well i won't be wearing orange tomorrow but i'll watch the game, they have no surprises for me anymore, i guess we'll just skip another big tournament :(

Jasonbirder said:
I beleive a few have been seen on the beach at Sandwich Bay recently too...
48 on the beach yesterday. If you go there you have to pay a toll to get into the Bay Estate (unless you belong to Sandwich Bay Bird Observatory Trust)

Saw my first ever Snow Buntings today... a flock of approx 30 just by the 'lagoon' at Reculver. Good views both going and coming back (nearly tripped over them on one occasion....)

I gather from other threads that there are a lot of them about at the moment - is it a particularly good year I wonder??

Ruby said:
Saw my first ever Snow Buntings today... a flock of approx 30 just by the 'lagoon' at Reculver. Good views both going and coming back (nearly tripped over them on one occasion....)
Great stuff Ruby. I have often found Reculver good for snow buntings.

Well done - I was lucky enough to see a flock of Snow Buntings at Reculver too last week, had to walk at lot further east for them though!

Ruby said:

I gather from other threads that there are a lot of them about at the moment - is it a particularly good year I wonder??

Good for you Ruby, they're a smashing bird and generally pretty tame.

We've got a single flock of 5,000 birds in southern Iceland at the moment. I haven't been to see it yet (but I saw my biggest ever flock of 600-700 a couple of weeks ago) but people say the noise when they take off in unison is deafening!

E

Wow Edward - I would have been pleased to see one and was delighted to see a little flock. To see hundreds or even thousands must be unbelievable.

Ruby

Well done Ruby - Snow Buntings are amongst the best birds there are in my view. We sometimes get them around where I live in St Andrews, but I haven't seen any as yet this winter. I guess there all still with Edward in Iceland!

Hi Ruby and Fifebirder,

The huge Snow Bunting flock in southern Iceland is feeding on some barley which a farmer sowed but didn't harvest this autumn. When that's finished perhaps some may move down the the UK. There are around 100,000 to 300,000 in winter here and I usually here them flying over the city every day at this time of year. The 600-bird flock I saw was amazing because they are so tame. The closest ones landed 10 metres away in the grass and completely disappeared, and then for some reason they take off as one to a tremendous cacophony and fly above your head at a only a few metres before settling again. Beautiful birds and they have a lovely mournful song in the spring. Snow Bunting is often the first bird that visiting birders see in the summer as they are often found picking up crumbs in the car park of the international airport!

Go out now and find a Shore Lark and some Twite (both would be lifers for me).

E

Thanks Edward - you paint a great picture there!

Good luck with the Shore Lark and Twite (either would be lifers for me too!!)

Ruby said:
Hi Guys,

Ruby.
This was on Birdguides this morning:

12:14 10/12/03 Snow Bunting Hants Hurst Beach/Castle
2 on shingle bank between markers 16 and 17 late morning

Also, a Lesser Scaup at Studland, Little Sea.
Regards Glyn

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back