• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Snow Buntings (1 Viewer)

Ian Hay

Just a quick one. Do Snow Buntings hang around walkers on top of Cairngorm Mountain like they do on Ben Macdui?

Ian

Moadib

Not sure about hanging around walkers, I've not seen then like that. But you can usually see them in the car park, to my memory most times I've been up there I've seen a flock around.
On arriving at a summit I suppose it's common for walkers to eat, so perhaps they've learned to associate the arrival of people wit the potential for some good crumbs? :)

Ratal

Hahahaha yes they do. Throw them some crumbs or seed and you are going to have friends galore.

JWN Andrewes

Poor Judge of Pasta.
Are they there right through summer? The only time I've had them by the car park was a very snowy Easter. On the summer trips we used to do we only ever saw them on the high tops, but that was years ago and things might have changed.

Moadib

I've had them up at the car park in mid-winter, but also on another trip where I'd climbed Carn Ban Mor for dotterel, and then later went up to Cairn Gorm, and we had ring ouzel, and with snow bunting flicking around the car park.

That was in late May, and the winter trips have been Dec, Jan, so I suspect they must be possible there year round.

Maybe someone with local knowledge can comment?

Users who are viewing this thread