• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snow's Guillemot (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

I've just returned from Hokkaido, Japan, where I managed to obtain several good clear 'scope views of a Snow's Guillemot Cepphus [columba] snowii which, to my surprise, was in summer plumage. Is this somewhat early? I also saw several auks that didn't seem to fit anything in Mark Brazil's excellent & indispensable field guide. However, checking in 'Oceanic Birds of the World - A Photo Guide' on my return home I find non-breeding Snow's Guillemot (contra Brazil) a good match. I then remembered reading a recent paper on this species which, as I recall, describes unfamiliar plumages of this little known species but which I now cannot locate. Can anyone remind me where I saw it or am I dreaming?

Can't find any further refs in a quick look this morning. I only wish we had laid eyes on one John, and very envious of your albatross haul too.

Good to see you, albeit briefly at T5.

Regards
Stu

Yes, good to see you too - a pity we didn't have time to chat. The ferry crossing to Hokkaido was just about the most amazing bout of seawatching that I've ever experienced. To see one albatross was a dream come true but to see 600+ Laysan, 17 Short-tailed and 7 Black-footed (plus 2,000+ shearwaters) was staggering. We had 50 more Laysan's the following morning plus 2 Fork-tailed Petrels in the harbour when we docked Mark Finn, our guide, has done the crossing twenty-odd times and has never seen anything remotely like it (generally getting fewer than 20 albatrosses and not always more than 2 species). The seawatch off Cape Nosappu, where I had the Snow's, was pretty damn good too. We ended up smashing Mark's best ever February bird tally (175) with 180 species (I think, I keep making it a couple more!). How many species did your trip manage? I think you may have gone to a couple of sites we omitted.

I'm not personally familiar with this particular species but the auks volume in the OUP Bird Families of the World series says Feb to April for definitive pre-alternate moult. It also says moulting birds can have a peculiar piebald appearance. Maybe that accounts for some of your birds that didn't seem to fit anything?

Attachments

• Pigeon Guillemot_Habomai_211219a.jpg
    Pigeon Guillemot_Habomai_211219a.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Pigeon Guillemot_Habomai_211219b.jpg
    Pigeon Guillemot_Habomai_211219b.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Pigeon Guillemot_Habomai_211219c.jpg
    Pigeon Guillemot_Habomai_211219c.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Pigeon Guillemot_Habomai_211219d.jpg
    Pigeon Guillemot_Habomai_211219d.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Pigeon Guillemot_Habomai_211219e.jpg
    Pigeon Guillemot_Habomai_211219e.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 14
I've just returned from Hokkaido, Japan, where I managed to obtain several good clear 'scope views of a Snow's Guillemot Cepphus [columba] snowii which, to my surprise, was in summer plumage. Is this somewhat early? I also saw several auks that didn't seem to fit anything in Mark Brazil's excellent & indispensable field guide. However, checking in 'Oceanic Birds of the World - A Photo Guide' on my return home I find non-breeding Snow's Guillemot (contra Brazil) a good match. I then remembered reading a recent paper on this species which, as I recall, describes unfamiliar plumages of this little known species but which I now cannot locate. Can anyone remind me where I saw it or am I dreaming?

It was the second Dutch Birding-issue in 2017, pages 87-88

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back