• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snowy Owl @ NE PA Airport (1 Viewer)

Jan 20, 2014. The Owl is still there. It was shown on the 6PM News tonight. It's a male and seems to favor sitting on the piles of snow plowed up at the ends of the Runways.

I think I'll drive out for a looksee tomorrow. It's about 25 miles from where I live.

Bob

Unfortunately not letting me see as a non-subscriber :-C

Good luck on seeing it!

Try clicking on this video from the local Television station It worked for me and has some very good footage of it.

http://wnep.com/2014/01/20/snowy-owl-drawing-crowds-in-hazleton-area/

The accompaning article also has a link in it showing it being featured on PA Outdoor Life. It is a longer link with more footage in it and comments by the news team and an outdoor biologist.

http://wnep.com/2014/01/12/snowy-owl-irruption/

Note their information on current research on Snowy Owls at the end of the video. Interested birders can get involved in it at different levels.

This is it: It is an informative web site!

http://www.projectsnowstorm.org/

Bob

Last edited:
I think I'll drive out for a looksee tomorrow. It's about 25 miles from where I live.

Lucky you! I live in hope that a Snowy will turn up within reasonable range of Reno some winter. The closest to date was in California a few years ago which I drove over the mountains to see but just missed.

Last edited:
Besides the northeast states, it seems everyone in the southeastern US, including Florida, is having their best chance to see a Snowy Owl.

My first (and only) was seen in December in the NC mountains but is now in rehab and putting weight on it's previously emaciated body. Which makes me wonder about why it was suggested in the Hazelton video that people don't try to feed the owl at the PA airport. I understand that a pile of dead and frozen mice is not a desirable feature at an airport but people feed other species on a regular basis. Though I agree that helping any bird through provided food has it's debatable points, these owls could probably use the extra help to make it through the winter and eventually get back where they belong.

Anyone have other ideas on the merits of feeding this irruptive species?

Steve

Anyone have other ideas on the merits of feeding this irruptive species?

It is not necessary.

The reality is that an owl is not likely to starve, unless it is injured or sick. Feeding them probably increases the likelihood of both. If an owl starts to associate humans with an easy meal it is likely to be drawn to them, and to dangerous situations.

If you want a more expert opinion check out this link.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back