• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So Hows your 2006 Yearlist Going then ? (1 Viewer)

Went up for the Black Stork in Borders yesterday morning, and then couldn't resist the Stilt Sand which came on as we were arriving back in Liverpool!

251: Black Stork
252: Stilt Sandpiper

My attempts at pictures of these two distant/hard to photograph birds....

Attachments

• BlackStork_dan_web1.jpg
    BlackStork_dan_web1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 76
  • BlackStork_dan_web2.jpg
    BlackStork_dan_web2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 104
  • StiltSand_dan_web2.jpg
    StiltSand_dan_web2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 72
  • StiltSand_dan_web3.jpg
    StiltSand_dan_web3.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 91
Some more species seen in our garden, the bittern was seen in a small swamp this morning while the haning-parrots were in some fruit trees seen yesterday while driving in to a coral reef for some scuba diving.

666. Yellow bittern
667. Grey-headed Fruit-dove LIFER
668. Pink-headed Imperial-pigeon LIFER
669. Moluccan hanging-parrot LIFER
670. Blue and white kingfisher LIFER
671. Rufous-bellied Triller LIFER

dan pointon said:
Went up for the Black Stork in Borders yesterday morning, and then couldn't resist the Stilt Sand which came on as we were arriving back in Liverpool!

251: Black Stork
252: Stilt Sandpiper

My attempts at pictures of these two distant/hard to photograph birds....

You mean the Stilt Sand that came on that I told you about, and you probably wouldn't have gone if it were not for me ringing you to tell you?

wrexile1 said:
You mean the Stilt Sand that came on that I told you about, and you probably wouldn't have gone if it were not for me ringing you to tell you?

I'm sure we would have found out some way or other ;)

Cheers Wrexile :t:

Papuan birder said:
Some more species seen in our garden, the bittern was seen in a small swamp this morning while the haning-parrots were in some fruit trees seen yesterday while driving in to a coral reef for some scuba diving.

666. Yellow bittern
667. Grey-headed Fruit-dove LIFER
668. Pink-headed Imperial-pigeon LIFER
669. Moluccan hanging-parrot LIFER
670. Blue and white kingfisher LIFER
671. Rufous-bellied Triller LIFER

amazing

you're a lucky man...

I bet of the few other specialities of the area will be harder work though!

Tim

I went hiking in the Adirondacks in upstate New York this weekend without my binoculars, but that didn't stop me from stumbling upon two lifers!

271. Spruce Grouse
272. Boreal Chickadee

Decided to do a twitch today. The Pine Grosbeak was a little further than I wanted to go but I had never seen one before.

I met Dave (Deboo) as soon as I had arrived and he had missed the bird by two minutes, which meant I had missed it by twenty minutes. It took almost three hours before we were rewarded with fairly decent views of the bird.

Unfortunately I left my cable release back home so had to use my finger on the button, which didn't help in producing quality photos. I have attached a couple I did manage.

I also decided to go after the Berkshire red-footed falcon as well. Thankfully that was co-operative straight away, albeit distantly. It was flying in front of us then perched on a dead Oak. Trouble was that the heat haze was far to bad to try for an image.

201. Pine Grosbeak (Lifer)
202. Red-footed Falcon
203. Red Kite

John

Attachments

• Pine Grosbeak 5514.jpg
    Pine Grosbeak 5514.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Pine Grosbeak 5517.jpg
    Pine Grosbeak 5517.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Pine Grosbeak 5515.jpg
    Pine Grosbeak 5515.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Did much the same as Reader yesterday, although fitted in a GWEgret too. The London traffic was horrendous...that's the last time I go around that area during the day!

253: Red Footed Falcon
254: Ring Necked Parakeet
255: Great White Egret

Also had the Pine Grosser but not included in my total. A couple of pics below.

Attachments

• GWE_web1.jpg
    GWE_web1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 98
  • RFF_web1.jpg
    RFF_web1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 78
dan pointon said:
The London traffic was horrendous...

Don't I know it! Worth it in the end though - RFF was a lifer for me :cool:
Thank God I was with good company, sitting baking in the car for literally hours...

I reduced my year list by one when it became obvious that the Pine Grosbeak was an escapee after all.

Went over to Anglesey and spent a day with digi-birder and Keith, as well as another couple from Manchester but on the way I picked up a couple of unexpected year ticks.

203. Tawny Owl
204. Quail (flew past the car Nr Betws-y-coed)

On Anglesey I added a few more.

205. Raven
206. Chough
207. Manx Shearwater
208. Arctic Tern
209. Black Guillemot

Tim Allwood said:
amazing

you're a lucky man...

I bet of the few other specialities of the area will be harder work though!

Tim

Hello Tim,

Yes I have noticed by now that these species are the ones you commonly encounter here on the Island, they are all rather common.

Altough with some birdwatching at the slopes of Gunung Sibela recently I have been able to add a few of the uncommon ones.

672. Blue-capped Fruit-dove LIFER
673. White Cockatoo LIFER
674. Cinnamon-bellied Imperial Pigeon LIFER
675. Giant coucal LIFER
676. Flame-breasted Flowerpecker LIFER
677. Paradise crow LIFER
678. Cream-throated white-eye LIFER

Last edited:
benn a while since i've updated due to computer trouble but I added a couple of well needed birds to the total:

129. garden warbler
130. dipper

dan pointon said:
.......The London traffic was horrendous...that's the last time I go around that area during the day!
An aspect of London birding that I DO NOT miss!! Worst I have to worry about now is maybe a tractor, caravan, or cow in the road 3:)

A couple more recent additions to the patch year list:
171. Garganey (patch tick, and about time too!)
172. Yellow-legged Gull - 2 juvs on Sunday and another 2 today.

Didn't get to 172 last year until 12th September........

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back