• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So I took the plunge... (1 Viewer)

chill6x6

Supporter
I told myself I wasn't going to do it. I've got good 10X42 binoculars. I use them mostly in the winter and when I go to the Gulf. It's kind of funny what I started out birding with 10X42s but soon realized for me a 7X/8X binocular with a larger FOV suited me best, especially where I usually go birding. The NL lineup kind of complicated my thoughts in this respect. They trumped every other 42mm binocular in FOV and usually by a good margin. The NL 10X42 has ten more feet of FOV than my Leica UVHD+ 8X42s that I like so much! More FOV even than the Zeiss SF 10X42s. I actually considered getting a SF 10X42 which I could have bought for less. But I decided if I'm going for more FOV I might as well so all the way. I got the NL 10X42 on Wednesday and have been birding with it in some of my normal spots Thursday and yesterday.

On opening the box I had two first impressions. First was I thought it was on the heavy side. They are exactly the same weight as my Noctivid 10X42, 30.4 ounces. That's a little heavy IMO by 2023 standards. That was one of the reasons I considered the SF 10X42. Here are the weights of the 10X42 I have:

NL 10X42- 30.4 ounces(no objective cover and with the non-FP strap attachment)
Noctivid 10X42- 30.4 ounces
SV 10X42- 29.5 ounces(non FP)
Zeiss Conquest HD 10X42- 28 ounces
Zeiss FL 10X42- 27.5 ounces

Second impression....overall I just don't like the Field Pro system. Too many fiddly parts. I'll take just a plain ol lug on the side of my binocular any day.

So I've only been birding two days since I've had the NLs. And this time of year I'm using a spotting scope probably at least 30% of the time. I didn't pick up another binocular except to take a few pictures. So far I found the NL pretty dang impressive. The focus adjustment is just super. ER was perfect for me with my RayBan eyeglasses. Swarovski says the close focus is 6.6 feet. I didn't check this yet but I had no issues focusing on some winter wrens and kinglets at probably 10 feet. There were a few times when I felt like I couldn't get on a bird as quickly as I could with the NL 8X32 or SFL 8X40 I've been using lately but I got better the more I used the NL 10X42.

So that's about all I have to say so far. I'm planning on using the NL only for the next couple of months and I'll compare it to a couple of the others. In the meantime, I did take a few pictures so you can get a perspective of the size of the NL 10X42 and here they are via Sony RX-10 III:

83EC1C29-DFF6-48C7-8338-A44D0CA09341_1_201_a.jpeg

F0C85B85-F1E3-47F9-98F0-460D79E3C59B_1_201_a.jpeg
1851C9A8-D80F-4A6E-91BE-226F7FA277F6_1_201_a.jpeg

Beautiful collection!

The last few minutes before I became an NL owner were spent with a 10x42 in one hand and a 12x42 in the other, looking at some sparkling Sussex countryside views, not far from an optics shop. A panorama containing geese, lapwings, snipe, robins, and deer became slightly closer and shakier one moment, slightly further away and more stable the next. It was a hard decision.

The 12x won, in the end, because I always feel as though I need to get just that little bit closer to things.

I told myself that I could afford them because, by owning and enjoying 'the best of the best', I wouldn't need to become a collector... but I must admit, those Noctivids and 32mm NLs do look very handsome.

Oh dear. I need a new job💰

A while back, I took the plunge, too, and bought my first alpha bino, the 8x42 Nl. It was a difficult decision which of the Nls to buy.. Rather than go for higher magnification, I went for maximum FOV with the incomparable field of view the 8 Nl offered. Subsequently, I had a bit of buyers remorse that I didn't get the 10x, since I had never owned any 10x bino. (My only other bino was the 8x42 Viper HD, which I recently gifted to my son)

Did I then buy a 10x? No. I got the 12x42Nl with the head rest. I figured it would complement better the 8x42 Nl that I already owned and still have the FOV of most non Nl 10x42 binos out there. Furthermore, if I eventually do get a 10x Nl, perhaps the 10x32 Nl would be a better choice in my lineup.

A few weeks ago, I added the Zeiss 8x25 VP to my arsenal, after briefly trying the Curio, which didn't work well for me. "Everyone should have an easy, carry-everwhere bino," I explained to my wife, as I was trying to lower her raised eyebrows about my latest purchase. That worked with her for now, but how will I ever explain to her that we also need the 10x32 Nl?

Will K, I may need a new job, too, especially since I am retired.

Last edited:
Second impression....overall I just don't like the Field Pro system. Too many fiddly parts. I'll take just a plain ol lug on the side of my binocular any day.

Congrats on your purchase. I used to hv the same feeling about the FP system until i used the version that comes on the newest CL 30’s - the neck strap is brilliant. It’s easy to attach and has no spare strap that hangs around or needs to be managed. You can extend the neck strap as much as you want, its basically looped into itself.

I’m sold on the system now. I have seen the variants that come with the EL / NL’s and no I’m not a fan of those as the excess strap still needs to be managed and the part where the thin strap attaches to the neoprene is bulky with the extension mechanism… I agree that is a solution to a problem that didnt exist.

Attachments

• FE6C0E40-E79C-47F3-8871-ECC54B189BA9.jpeg
    FE6C0E40-E79C-47F3-8871-ECC54B189BA9.jpeg
    477.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 82C7ECDB-3D7B-4DA0-B506-333935D14F70.jpeg
    82C7ECDB-3D7B-4DA0-B506-333935D14F70.jpeg
    578.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 6AA6CB04-8713-4F50-86BE-AF16DE0C5A4B.jpeg
    6AA6CB04-8713-4F50-86BE-AF16DE0C5A4B.jpeg
    574.3 KB · Views: 64
Congrats on your purchase. I used to hv the same feeling about the FP system until i used the version that comes on the newest CL 30’s - the neck strap is brilliant. It’s easy to attach and has no spare strap that hangs around or needs to be managed. You can extend the neck strap as much as you want, its basically looped into itself.

I’m sold on the system now. I have seen the variants that come with the EL / NL’s and no I’m not a fan of those as the excess strap still needs to be managed and the part where the thin strap attaches to the neoprene is bulky with the extension mechanism… I agree that is a solution to a problem that didnt exist.
That fixes having to deal with the extra length which is nice. But yeah Field Pro is a solution to a problem that didn't exist.

Chuck,

After having other premium 10X42s in your experience, and subsequent to some time with the NLs, (The most obvious up front difference is the FOV) I am curious about what you think of the NLs down the road.

I told myself that I could afford them because, by owning and enjoying 'the best of the best', I wouldn't need to become a collector...
I thought the same thing when buying a Canon 18x50IS (mainly for astronomy at that time) as my first expensive bino -- didn't really work and didn't keep me from buying dozens more :D. I think you either are a collector or not. If you are, almost everything you are really interested in becomes a collection. That's been the case for me at least and I always collected something from childhood on. Even if it was just pretty stones.
That being said -- I do hope after buying the Fujinon HC 8x42 I might be done for a (little) while with buying new binos.

@chill6x6
Congrats on the beautiful bino and that is a very impressive line-up you have there.

I told myself I wasn't going to do it.
That always works so well. Congratulations! I've found NL 42 more satisfying and impressive than 32 in any magnification (especially 12x), so to me the 10x42 with that FOV would be the ultimate do-everything bin, though 12x42 remains a tempting alternative (as Will points out). Enjoy it! And then comparisons please... it has a slower focuser than my SLC HD, but more FOV, so which ends up working best for you? etc.

I think you either are a collector or not.
It's more complicated than that. I definitely have the impulse, but resist it because anything I'm not regularly using nags at me somehow.

I used to hv the same feeling about the FP system until i used the version that comes on the newest CL 30’s - the neck strap is brilliant. It’s easy to attach and has no spare strap that hangs around or needs to be managed. You can extend the neck strap as much as you want, its basically looped into itself.
Thanks for pointing out something I hadn't noticed yet (though I saw they went back to a flat strap). But my question is how much you can shorten the new strap? The overall length I like is around 33"/84cm.

A few weeks ago, I added the Zeiss 8x42 VP to my arsenal, after briefly trying the Curio, which didn't work well for me. "Everyone should have an easy, carry-everwhere bino," I explained to my wife, as I was trying to lower her raised eyebrows about my latest purchase. That worked with her for now, but how will I ever explain to her that we also need the 10x32 Nl?
Hi Bill, you meant 825 VP methinks?

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back