• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

So is the Canon R5 a bird photography body? (5 Viewers)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
I rarely use DPP to edit as I find that it applies noise reduction automatically which even when reduced to it's lowest sometimes over does it. If I drag a file from DPP in to Photoshop I get the full original file untouched. Is this why you convert to a TIFF file Roy, to preserve any changes you have made in DPP?
You do not have to have any noise reduction applied Dave - just switch of any Noise reduction by zeroing the sliders. I do not convert to a tiff before transferring to Photoshop, its is done automatically when selecting selecting 'send to photoshop'. The time taken to 'send to photoshop' is just a few second on my ageing (10 year old) PC.
I run the DLO in DPP and also turn off noise reduction which is why I use 'send to photoshop' from within the edit image window instead of just dragging.

Dave Williams

Interesting to try on my recently purchased iMac Roy , it took 72 seconds to open a file from DPP ( using the tools option) in Photoshop. Then when you go to "save as" it took a few seconds to change the file directory where it's saved and also to change it from a Tiff to a jpeg. I wonder is this a Mac thing? Certainly just dragging the image is an instant solution. Most odd!

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
Interesting to try on my recently purchased iMac Roy , it took 72 seconds to open a file from DPP ( using the tools option) in Photoshop. Then when you go to "save as" it took a few seconds to change the file directory where it's saved and also to change it from a Tiff to a jpeg. I wonder is this a Mac thing? Certainly just dragging the image is an instant solution. Most odd!
I do not know anything about iMac's Dave. I have just timed sending a few images from my old PC from DPP to CS6 and it takes 10 seconds (which includes opening CS6) - If I pre open CS6 and then send an image from DPP to CS6 it takes just 5 seconds. I can live with these times.
At the end of the day we are not here to debate the virtues of DPP as we have all got our own way of doing things but just trying to help Colin in being able to edit his CS3 Raw's and using DPP is a fast way of doing it.

Dave Williams

I do not know anything about iMac's Dave. I have just timed sending a few images from my old PC from DPP to CS6 and it takes 10 seconds (which includes opening CS6) - If I pre open CS6 and then send an image from DPP to CS6 it takes just 5 seconds. I can live with these times.
At the end of the day we are not here to debate the virtues of DPP as we have all got our own way of doing things but just trying to help Colin in being able to edit his CS3 Raw's and using DPP is a fast way of doing it.
I think dealing with opening the files to edit them is pretty important Roy , it's all part of the learning process and I'm interested as much as anyone on how to do things a better way. I see you are using CS6, not Adobe CC which Colin and I are now doing. That could be the reason it's slow on my Mac.
I'm was also assuming you were using CR3 files too but I have just realised that you may be using CR2?

colincurry

Sorry to be thick, but how do you drag an image from DPP to Photoshop please? I have Photoshop open on the task bar with my file 'Flora and fauna 2021'. I then drag a file on DPP to Photoshop on the Task Bar and get the no entry sign.

I cannot currently use EOS Utility 3 as the supplied cable is US C at each end and my PC has only US A sockets. My adaptors work in the opposite direction but the correct adaptor should arrive tomorrow.

On another topic entirely - BIF tracking. Following the advice of Whistling Wings et al, I have selected Spot AF as the AF method for use with the AF-On button as the initial track to be used along with the star button for eye detect. This is fine for static stuff and herons and such like, but I am finding it harder to lock on to smaller BIF (I had the large spread of squares on my 7D which I found easier to use). Again, am I missing something here?

PS I did batch process all the files on the card to convert them to jpegs and sent them to my file, but I have no idea where they went!

Last edited:

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
I think dealing with opening the files to edit them is pretty important Roy , it's all part of the learning process and I'm interested as much as anyone on how to do things a better way. I see you are using CS6, not Adobe CC which Colin and I are now doing. That could be the reason it's slow on my Mac.
I'm was also assuming you were using CR3 files too but I have just realised that you may be using CR2?
Hmm, I am not sure Colin has said how long it took him to send the CR3 16 bit tiff from DPP to Photoshop. If its anywhere near the time it takes you with a state of the art iMac then I will have to think again about even buying a R5 !!!. At my age money is no object but I do not want the hassle of setting-up a new PC just to accommodate the files. I enjoy the image editing in CS6 very much and it does everything I want (together with Topaz plug-ins of course). I also prefer the DPP Raw conversion so would want to continue to use DPP and CS6.
p.s I have no reason whatsoever to save the 16 bit tiffs after editing and converting to jpegs in PS as I always keep the RAWs anyway. But if anyone wanted to do so there is a batch conversion from DPP.

Dave Williams

Hmm, I am not sure Colin has said how long it took him to send the CR3 16 bit tiff from DPP to Photoshop. If its anywhere near the time it takes you with a state of the art iMac then I will have to think again about even buying a R5 !!!. At my age money is no object but I do not want the hassle of setting-up a new PC just to accommodate the files. I enjoy the image editing in CS6 very much and it does everything I want (together with Topaz plug-ins of course). I also prefer the DPP Raw conversion so would want to continue to use DPP and CS6.
p.s I have no reason whatsoever to save the 16 bit tiffs after editing and converting to jpegs in PS as I always keep the RAWs anyway. But if anyone wanted to do so there is a batch conversion from DPP.
I think you might find that it's more than just the expense of buying the R5 too Roy. You will need, the EF- EOSR adapter, new memory cards, possibly extra storage space in the form of external hard drives, maybe another battery or even the grip and then there's the 10 year old computer that is probably going to struggle too..... and of course you would still need to convert to TIFF to use CS6 or pay for Adobe CC ( which is as annoying as paying for parking!). It's a personal choice but I think you would thoroughly enjoy the challenge to be honest. You could take your well recognised photographic skill to another level and I'm sure you would be a great asset to helping others too.

Dave Williams

Sorry to be thick, but how do you drag an image from DPP to Photoshop please? I have Photoshop open on the task bar with my file 'Flora and fauna 2021'. I then drag a file on DPP to Photoshop on the Task Bar and get the no entry sign.

I cannot currently use EOS Utility 3 as the supplied cable is US C at each end and my PC has only US A sockets. My adaptors work in the opposite direction but the correct adaptor should arrive tomorrow.

On another topic entirely - BIF tracking. Following the advice of Whistling Wings et al, I have selected Spot AF as the AF method for use with the AF-On button as the initial track to be used along with the star button for eye detect. This is fine for static stuff and herons and such like, but I am finding it harder to lock on to smaller BIF (I had the large spread of squares on my 7D which I found easier to use). Again, am I missing something here?

PS I did batch process all the files on the card to convert them to jpegs and sent them to my file, but I have no idea where they went!
You are not being thick at all Colin.
My screen looks like this attachment. Screenshot 2021-04-12 at 17.48.35.jpg

I have the files in DPP, I left click the mouse on the shot I want to edit in Photoshop and keeping the mouse depressed means it will move the file to where I want to put it. In this instance , I drag it over the PS icon at the bottom of the screen then take my finger off the mouse and it opens it in Photoshop ready to edit. You edit it, save as then close the file then back to DPP for the next one.

Matt Bell

Supporter
This weekend was my first chance to get out and use the new kit. The R5 and RF 100-500 is a great walkabout rig — easy to carry, easy to use hand held.

I’m pleased with the results so far, though I’ve still got loads to learn, especially about birds in flight, which are a novelty for me.

Here’s the same image full size and cropped to about one fifth.

F9, 1/2000, ISO800, 500mm

View attachment 1K1A2402.JPG 1K1A2402b.jpg

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
I think you might find that it's more than just the expense of buying the R5 too Roy. You will need, the EF- EOSR adapter, new memory cards, possibly extra storage space in the form of external hard drives, maybe another battery or even the grip and then there's the 10 year old computer that is probably going to struggle too..... and of course you would still need to convert to TIFF to use CS6 or pay for Adobe CC ( which is as annoying as paying for parking!). It's a personal choice but I think you would thoroughly enjoy the challenge to be honest. You could take your well recognised photographic skill to another level and I'm sure you would be a great asset to helping others too.
Thanks Dave, yes I already have CFexpress cards, SD card plus SD/CFexpress Card reader all sussed out ready the buy. Well aware about the different adaptors. I have read 'zillions' various forum post (fred miranda is my fav forums) and watched loads of youtube stuff over many months since the R5 and R6 came out. My current PC has plenty of storage and I have external storage that I back-up all my files on - new external drive are very cheap anyway. Although my PC is getting on a bit now it was the absolute top of the range for photo editing when I bought it and is better specked than a lot of the current PC. I would fully intend to carry on using DPP and sending to PS for editing. as it is the preferred method that I have used over many years. My main reason for looking at the R5 is so that I can do away with both my current Cameras and just use the R5 for everything (birds, macro and general still life stuff) I do not expect any significant increase in IQ.
I will be 80 in two years so time is not on my side as far as bird photography goes. I never shoot from hides, managed reserves or 'pay to shoot' places but get all my shots by going walkabout on my local patch, sometimes for several hour and miles and it does not get easier that's for sure !!. As I said before money is no object to me at this stage of my life.

Russ P

I’m pleased with the results so far, though I’ve still got loads to learn, especially about birds in flight, which are a novelty for me.
Matt, you might be interested in this guy's Youtube video for BIF with the same rig as yours:

Russ

colincurry

You are not being thick at all Colin.
My screen looks like this attachment. View attachment 1379218

I have the files in DPP, I left click the mouse on the shot I want to edit in Photoshop and keeping the mouse depressed means it will move the file to where I want to put it. In this instance , I drag it over the PS icon at the bottom of the screen then take my finger off the mouse and it opens it in Photoshop ready to edit. You edit it, save as then close the file then back to DPP for the next one.
I have tried again to drag and drop in the way you suggested; and all I get is the No Entry sign. If I use the Tools drop down and transfer to Photoshop, this takes 45 seconds - I have 32 gb RAM; life is too short. I note Roy's age, and. next month, I shall be able to give him a couple of years. I shall try EOS Utility tomorrow when the adaptor arrives so that I may connect camera to PC.

The annoying thing is that Google Photos will display the pictures; but when I copy these to my file and try to open them in Photoshop, I am am told that it is not the right sort of file. Bridge, Camera Raw and Photoshop are all up to date.

Dave Williams

Thanks Dave, yes I already have CFexpress cards, SD card plus SD/CFexpress Card reader all sussed out ready the buy. Well aware about the different adaptors. I have read 'zillions' various forum post (fred miranda is my fav forums) and watched loads of youtube stuff over many months since the R5 and R6 came out. My current PC has plenty of storage and I have external storage that I back-up all my files on - new external drive are very cheap anyway. Although my PC is getting on a bit now it was the absolute top of the range for photo editing when I bought it and is better specked than a lot of the current PC. I would fully intend to carry on using DPP and sending to PS for editing. as it is the preferred method that I have used over many years. My main reason for looking at the R5 is so that I can do away with both my current Cameras and just use the R5 for everything (birds, macro and general still life stuff) I do not expect any significant increase in IQ.
I will be 80 in two years so time is not on my side as far as bird photography goes. I never shoot from hides, managed reserves or 'pay to shoot' places but get all my shots by going walkabout on my local patch, sometimes for several hour and miles and it does not get easier that's for sure !!. As I said before money is no object to me at this stage of my life.
Roy, The R5 and 800mm might be the lightweight walkabout that's perfect for you, alternatively the 100-500 is excellent and copes well if the light isn't so good. Get them ordered !!

Dave Williams

I have tried again to drag and drop in the way you suggested; and all I get is the No Entry sign. If I use the Tools drop down and transfer to Photoshop, this takes 45 seconds - I have 32 gb RAM; life is too short. I note Roy's age, and. next month, I shall be able to give him a couple of years. I shall try EOS Utility tomorrow when the adaptor arrives so that I may connect camera to PC.

The annoying thing is that Google Photos will display the pictures; but when I copy these to my file and try to open them in Photoshop, I am am told that it is not the right sort of file. Bridge, Camera Raw and Photoshop are all up to date.
Maybe your best bet is to open the whole folder in Lightroom which also gives the option to edit in Photoshop. Might be quicker once the folder is uploaded

Matt Bell

Supporter
Matt, you might be interested in this guy's Youtube video for BIF with the same rig as yours:

Russ

Thanks, Russ, all advice is welcome.
I've set up three back buttons for AF:
AF-ON = animal eye detect AF
* = spot AF
AF point selection = (revert to) zone AF
This is working very well at the moment.
Matt

colincurry

The USB C to USB A adaptor arrived today, and I attached the camera to my PC and downloaded files from my card using EOS Utility 3. Opened Bridge and all I saw were icons and no thumbnails. When I tried to open the file, again told it was not the right kind of document. Beginning to despair. Camera seems fine but no use if I can't open the files. Even CR2 files not yet processed were shown as icons, but I could open them.

Have used the back button settings suggested by Whistling Wings which differ from those in his first video. Will have to watch the second video again just to work out when to use what.

Dave Williams

The USB C to USB A adaptor arrived today, and I attached the camera to my PC and downloaded files from my card using EOS Utility 3. Opened Bridge and all I saw were icons and no thumbnails. When I tried to open the file, again told it was not the right kind of document. Beginning to despair. Camera seems fine but no use if I can't open the files. Even CR2 files not yet processed were shown as icons, but I could open them.

Have used the back button settings suggested by Whistling Wings which differ from those in his first video. Will have to watch the second video again just to work out when to use what.
Right click your mouse on one of the CR3 file icons, choose open with other, choose Adobe Bridge 21 or Photoshop or whatever and that should do it. Otherwise open Lightroom as suggested before.

colincurry

Right click your mouse on one of the CR3 file icons, choose open with other, choose Adobe Bridge 21 or Photoshop or whatever and that should do it. Otherwise open Lightroom as suggested before.
Thanks, Dave. Have tried this to no avail.

Please see the link

'Fix for CR3 files in Photoshop'. Created a DNG folder alongside that for the day's pictures and instructed DNG converter to use that as the destination folder. Made adjustments to Bridge preferences as in the video. When I clicked on the DNG file, it opened in Bridge!!!!!! So far, so good. I can retain the DNG folder in my RAW files backup and delete the original CR3 folder so as not to double up on storage. The DNG conversion was almost instantaneous

Bafty

Must say in the end I did punched the R5 :rolleyes:....I've just off loaded the 5D MkIV to free up space in the bag for the R3

colincurry

Thought I might give an update of my adventures so far.

Really love the R5, quicker and sharper than my beloved 7D2. Using it with 100-400 2 and tc 1.4 3. The autofocus is instantaneous. Understand that 2 x tc might be slower in this regard, but wonder how this would be in real life?

Set it up as on my 7D2 using custom functions; one for BIF, and the other for birds in the bush. Find it more cumbersome to switch custom functions than when using the dial on the 7D2.

Have experimented using the dials to change shutter speed, aperture; and the control ring for exposure compensation. When I compared the settings on the two custom functions, I realised that the only real difference was in shutter speed. Am now trying manual and changing the speed using the central wheel. Will see how it goes. Perhaps you can teach an 82 year old dog new tricks. Have set up back button focus as recommended in the video above but will need to train my muscle memory - not least in the change of position for the shutter button. Need more practice on BIF, have only used the camera from the garden so far and adjacent buildings get in the way. Have been practicing on flying beeflies and droneflies with fair results.

My current workflow is to cull using Faststone Imageviewer (and a card reader) which provides a full screen image with the facility to delete from the card. I download files by day of shooting using EOS Utility 3 by connecting the camera to my PC. I then create a DNG folder with the same day date details. I convert the files day by day to DNG and download them to the appropriate DNG folder. I can then open the DNG files in Bridge. Unfortunately, the DNG files only show icons and not thumbnails, so I open the file in Explorer so that I have access to thumbnails.

I have this evening been in touch with a human being from Adobe who has taken a couple of my CR3 files for examination, and they will email me with their conclusions and further support if needed. I have also posted this question to the Adobe Community but there has so far been no response.

My CFExpress card has now reached, and possibly left an airport in China - the tracking information is unclear. At least, it is on its way!

Colin

Users who are viewing this thread