So is the Canon R5 a bird photography body? (1 Viewer)

Dave Williams

I did read that grey imports were going to be targeted in future by our relevant tax people, and the whole future might be dependant on what final Brexit arrangements are made so that too encouraged me to buy now rather than wait any longer.

dabut101

There is very little difference between USB3 and USB2 David it is just as fast and should work fine on your PC

Dave Williams

There is very little difference between USB3 and USB2 David it is just as fast and should work fine on your PC

Thanks for the info but unfortunately it's not the speed it's the lack of a USB3 socket in my MacBook that's the problem. The R5 and presumably all the R range come with a USB 3 to USB 3 connecting cable unlike the Canon predecessors that came with USB for the computer and a micro USB 3 to the camera.

Dave Williams

Don't know if something like this will help? Have the converse to connect usb2 kit to the usbC on my laptop.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Converting-Thunderbolt-MacBook-Devices/dp/B07CVX3516

Colin

Thanks for that link Colin, it's a bargain price too, the Apple one is about £40. I'm not 100% certain it fits my 2015 MacBook but it looks like it will.

Second thoughts, it doesn't fit . I think I might have described the provided Canon R5 cable incorrectly. It's USB-C to USB-C, my MacBook only has the older USB input socket. It's annoying that over the years they keep on changing the sockets and you end up with a spaghetti of wiring stuffed in a drawer and in the end can't find the one you need anyway!

Last edited:

Bafty

My understanding is USB 3 has a transfer rate 10x faster than USB 2, obviously if you connect a USB 3 device to older PC with type A ports it with default lower bit rate. The newer USB 3.1 Gen 2 is the big jump now finding its way into new machines

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread