• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So is the Canon R5 a bird photography body? (1 Viewer)

1DR will be interesting - but what on earth native fast long lenses are they going to have to compliment it ?? (I'm discounting rumours of an RF 500mm f2.8 lens - I can't see a ~4.5kg++ lens setting the world alight for the walkaround birder ! :eek!: )

Perhaps if Sony comes out with a rumoured 'Pro' model even more capable, ergonomic, and robust than the A9II - it might be game over considering their native mirrorless fast long light lenses already available ! :eek!: Goodness only knows how Nikon is going to match that lot .........
Chosun :gh:

Lol.

https://www.canonrumors.com/well-well-well-could-this-be-canons-lens-roadmap-for-2021-cr2/

Progress Report

I decided that this was my last chance saloon because of weight quality etc and it has everything I wanted -BUT . I was out yesterday trying to get a yellow browed warbler and as I've found in the past when using mirrorless ,the EVF sucks. It just cant keep up when I trying to find something in the bushes. Its not the wake up time ,its the lag when changing within an area . By the time the EVF is ok the bird has gone . If they stayed for a couple of seconds it wouldn't be a problem ! I will be keeping the system but I definately wont be getting as many keepers for this type of bird .

I have no idea why that 'R' 500mmL f2.8 rumour got a run .... that really would be a 'canon' ! With a ~180mm objective diammeter, Demand must be miniscule anyway ....

Good to see the R mount fast Super Telephotos making an appearance on a Lens Roadmap (even rumoured - which puts them in front of Nikon anyway) ..... hopefully they can peel even more weight out of them. ...... still going to need lots of pumping iron at the gym between now and then though ...... :)

I would be very surprised if Canon managed to get all those lenses out the door by the end of 2021 ......

Chosun :gh:

It would be even better if there was something like a 200 - 600 in the mix too. The lenses will be simply the best and no doubt priced accordingly when they arrive. In the meantime EF L glass lenses are not too shabby.

Last edited:
Have been using the R5 for just over a week now with a very old EF 500mm L f4 mk1, with the control ring adapter. Yes a very steep learning curve as my first mirrorless camera. Mechanical shutter doesnt seem to work at full speed with this lens - getting about 7- 8 fps max. EVF makes it difficult to follow birds in flight - electronic shutter much better. Took it out to Tarifa yesterday to photograph the back end of the migration over the Straits of Gibraltar. Not ideal conditions but got some reasonable shots of Short-toed Eagles. Missed a few shots at first due to the focus point moving off-centre when my nose brushed against the screen and moved the focus point to the far left, leaving the lens to hunt focus. Hopefully fixed that now in menu. Had problems downloading images to computer with the interface cable, so used wifi, but now ordered a compact flash express card reader for next time. Using cRaw format. Animal eye tracking great for the eagles! Attached a photo of a short-toed eagle.

Attachments

• ste1.jpeg
    ste1.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 184
Still waiting for mine Kevin, but I've been watching the Youtubes. Can't be certain, but it rings a bell that the answer to the jerkiness in the viewfinder on mechanical shutter is to increase the viewfinder refresh rate in the menu. (or something like that)

Thinking of getting a R5 to replace both my 7D2 and 5D3. My main concern at this time is the numerous reports of lock-ups - sometimes just momentarily but others requiring to pull the battery to re-boot. Anyone on here with the R5 (or R6) experienced this?

Thinking of getting a R5 to replace both my 7D2 and 5D3. My main concern at this time is the numerous reports of lock-ups - sometimes just momentarily but others requiring to pull the battery to re-boot. Anyone on here with the R5 (or R6) experienced this?

Yes had a couple of lock ups - every thing blacked out - totally unresponsive until taking out battery and re-inserting

Not a Canon shooter but still have this thought: is this due to bad hardware (overheating for example) or bad software which can more easily be fixed?

Niels

I see a R7 (crop sensor) is coming which could suit me fine. Trouble is it is not coming until late 2021 and at my age time is not on my side

I see a R7 (crop sensor) is coming which could suit me fine. Trouble is it is not coming until late 2021 and at my age time is not on my side
You can select a 1.6 crop as menu option on the R5, trimming the unwanted edges away and reducing the file size for storage considerably.

You're left with an image of just short of 18 megapixels, roughly a 7D, but with the added advantage of the R5 autofocus and better noise.

You can select a 1.6 crop as menu option on the R5, trimming the unwanted edges away and reducing the file size for storage considerably.

You're left with an image of just short of 18 megapixels, roughly a 7D, but with the added advantage of the R5 autofocus and better noise.
Yes I know but thanks BW. I think I would use the full 45 mps and then crop myself in post. I most always crop my 7D2 images quite a bit now which is why the R6 would be no good for me as it would leave just 7.8mps (20/2.56) to be the same FOV as the 7D2 and that would be before I cropped even further (I would be ending up with 3 or 4 mps most times).
An R7 with around 20mp would be ideal with better AF and noise levels than the 7D2.

Last edited:
Had about three hours today in my chair hide with the R5 on my old 500mm L mk1. Shot about 2500 frames on electronic shutter - could feel the camera warming up against my face, but no issues today and the eye AF tracking worked extremely well. My target species was the Black Wheatear and was shooting at 2500secs @f8 with iso 500

Attachments

• bw20.jpg
    bw20.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 144
Had about three hours today in my chair hide with the R5 on my old 500mm L mk1. Shot about 2500 frames on electronic shutter - could feel the camera warming up against my face, but no issues today and the eye AF tracking worked extremely well. My target species was the Black Wheatear and was shooting at 2500secs @f8 with iso 500

Impressive.
Black against a light background is very difficult, seems you nailed it. :t:

After much deliberation I took the plunge and bought the R5. I have only had it a couple of days but I'm extremely pleased with the performance after an extremely limited trial.
When I added the Canon 5D4 to my 1DX2 stable, I was more than impressed with the added technology the new body came with, it's a similar case with the R5 which goes a step further again. After abandoning my 1Dx2 in favour of the 5D4 for some time, I eventually returned to the 1DX2 because when it came down to it, I just preferred the images it took.Will I find this to be the case with the R5? Time will tell but sadly the 1DX2 has to go as age has caught up with me and as I head in to my 8th decade next year it's time to shed the pounds if I'm to carry on in this absorbing hobby for many years to come.
For a while I swung towards the R6. It seemed to offer everything I needed, including the reduced weight but at the end of the day, the few extra features of the R5 swung it , particularly the 45mp sensor.The R5 of course is a lot more expensive and I have already realised the cost mounts up beyond the purchase of the camera itself. You need an adapter to use your EF lenses, a CFexpress card to take maximum advantage of the video and high fps rate.Then you have to decide how to transfer your images. The CFexpress card readers are expensive, but I have been happy not bothering with a card reader for my other two cameras simply downloading straight from the camera to the computer. You can't do that on my computer as I don't have the needed USB3 port so I will have to buy either a card reader or a USB3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. The little expenses are starting to mount up!
Then there is battery life to consider. The R5 has so much extra technology it does chew battery life and I haven't even attempted video yet. Lots of functions can be turned off of course and I could opt to buy the battery pack but then the weight saving starts to vanish and so does the bank balance.
Currently there are no must have RF lenses that I desperately want although I'm tempted by the RF 800f11 as a lightweight walkabout lens or for air travel where baggage weight is a consideration. The RF 100-500 comes with not only a hefty price tag but some serious limitations ( and another hefty price addition) if you but the teleconverters to extend it's reach. No, I'm more than impressed with the EF-EOSR adapter and it performs as promised with no compromise in image quality or AF performance. I did opt for the control ring adapter version which was more expensive than the standard one but it's use is very limited to me unless I have the outfit tripod mounted.The ability to hold everything safely and twist the control ring , especially on a longer lens, is nigh on impossible.
One of the things I really like about the R5, and presumably the R6 is the reticulated screen. I love the fact that not only and you can avoid the direct sun preventing you viewing the screen as it can often do on a fixed screen in "live view" but when you want to put it away in the camera bag the screen can be turned inwards to protect the surface of the glass. The screen though is also my biggest worry, time will tell but I think there will be more damage to users screens due to the delicate hinges.Care is needed!
My final observation is the layout and controls. It's brilliantly thought out, and another swing to the R5 over the R6 for me. You have most essential things at your finger tips but there is the rub. Small size and weight comes at a price. This body is more suited to the slender female hand than my stubby fingers but that said I'm managing OK. A slightly bigger body, would be an advantage to me and might also help cure some of those heating issues too..

After much deliberation I took the plunge and bought the R5. I have only had it a couple of days but I'm extremely pleased with the performance after an extremely limited trial.
When I added the Canon 5D4 to my 1DX2 stable, I was more than impressed with the added technology the new body came with, it's a similar case with the R5 which goes a step further again. After abandoning my 1Dx2 in favour of the 5D4 for some time, I eventually returned to the 1DX2 because when it came down to it, I just preferred the images it took.Will I find this to be the case with the R5? Time will tell but sadly the 1DX2 has to go as age has caught up with me and as I head in to my 8th decade next year it's time to shed the pounds if I'm to carry on in this absorbing hobby for many years to come.
For a while I swung towards the R6. It seemed to offer everything I needed, including the reduced weight but at the end of the day, the few extra features of the R5 swung it , particularly the 45mp sensor.The R5 of course is a lot more expensive and I have already realised the cost mounts up beyond the purchase of the camera itself. You need an adapter to use your EF lenses, a CFexpress card to take maximum advantage of the video and high fps rate.Then you have to decide how to transfer your images. The CFexpress card readers are expensive, but I have been happy not bothering with a card reader for my other two cameras simply downloading straight from the camera to the computer. You can't do that on my computer as I don't have the needed USB3 port so I will have to buy either a card reader or a USB3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. The little expenses are starting to mount up!
Then there is battery life to consider. The R5 has so much extra technology it does chew battery life and I haven't even attempted video yet. Lots of functions can be turned off of course and I could opt to buy the battery pack but then the weight saving starts to vanish and so does the bank balance.
Currently there are no must have RF lenses that I desperately want although I'm tempted by the RF 800f11 as a lightweight walkabout lens or for air travel where baggage weight is a consideration. The RF 100-500 comes with not only a hefty price tag but some serious limitations ( and another hefty price addition) if you but the teleconverters to extend it's reach. No, I'm more than impressed with the EF-EOSR adapter and it performs as promised with no compromise in image quality or AF performance. I did opt for the control ring adapter version which was more expensive than the standard one but it's use is very limited to me unless I have the outfit tripod mounted.The ability to hold everything safely and twist the control ring , especially on a longer lens, is nigh on impossible.
One of the things I really like about the R5, and presumably the R6 is the reticulated screen. I love the fact that not only and you can avoid the direct sun preventing you viewing the screen as it can often do on a fixed screen in "live view" but when you want to put it away in the camera bag the screen can be turned inwards to protect the surface of the glass. The screen though is also my biggest worry, time will tell but I think there will be more damage to users screens due to the delicate hinges.Care is needed!
My final observation is the layout and controls. It's brilliantly thought out, and another swing to the R5 over the R6 for me. You have most essential things at your finger tips but there is the rub. Small size and weight comes at a price. This body is more suited to the slender female hand than my stubby fingers but that said I'm managing OK. A slightly bigger body, would be an advantage to me and might also help cure some of those heating issues too..

How long did you have to wait Dave?

I took the plunge and ordered on on 22nd August from Wex. Still waiting. I had some help from 'Martin' on their chatline, who confirmed to me in early October that they had just had a delivery and had sent out all the bodies they had received, filling their orders up to only 23rd July (a week before the launch date) and that it might be late November before I got my order. I've been kept in the dark as have, I presume, all the others waiting in the queue with the fat side of 4 and a half grand when all the bits and bobs are included held in limbo in their accounts waiting for the big day.

I got in touch with their chatline again for an update on my order a couple of weeks ago after the appearance of 5D iv in stock showed that they'd had a Canon delivery, but unfortunately it wasn't Martin who responded. I told them that I appreciate that Canon has been hopeless in the management of this situation, but the person who responded was almost totally unhelpful. It was like getting blood out of a stone to be given the sparse information that they get deliveries from Canon 'about every 4-6 weeks'. I asked for an idea of when I might reasonably expect my order, but he totally ducked the question.

As I watch the sunrise slide ever more southerly and the hours of daylight shorten my frustration grows.

I ordered mine 2 weeks ago from Panamoz, it was delivered 6 days later. irritating that the price has come down £160 in 2 weeks but that is the chance you take. How Panamoz get unlimited supplies..or so it seems, is beyond me but to be honest I can't understand why anyone would otherwise wait for a UK retailer to supply one.
Grey market imports are nothing to fear..as long as you can trust the dealer. Panamoz are very, very good.
Currently they are selling the R5 for £3390 but it would be a mistake to order one without the adapter unless you intend getting rid of all your EF lenses. The basic adapter they are charging £160 more for which might seem expensive compared to the advertised UK price of £99 but trying to buy one is impossible, they are as rare as R5 and 6's in the UK market and they might get even more difficult to get hold of too. Made in Taiwan, not Japan I wonder if they can keep up to demand being as though they are needed for all the R camera bodies if you don't have RF lenses.
There is no problem buying grey because you get a 3 year insurance to cover manufacturing defects, and that's a year longer than the usual warranty. Mine has been added to my Canon Pro Service membership and qualifies for the 2 day turnaround on repairs needed it's just I have to pay upfront and claim back. To be honest I'm not expecting there to be any problems within 3 years anyway.
Other than that the only drawback is that when you come to sell grey imports you won't be able to trade one in with a UK retailer as they won't touch them. It's understandable, it's the only protection they have against this competition. A friend just had his 1DX2 accepted without a trade for £2150 and that was without the spare battery, CFast card and card reader that I'm selling mine for. The retailer has it for sale at £2759 now.
If you are happy that you will have to sell privately when you no longer want the camera, grey is not a problem.

The other thing to realise of course is that those who ordered before the 31/10 deadline will get a free basic EF-EOSR adapter from Canon but after that you won't and a grey import won't qualify either. That said, even with the adapter thrown in to the mix you are still saving £750 over the price of a UK purchase.
My advice would be to cancel the order from WEX and you will be using the R5 in a weeks time. Sorry WEX ( and the rest of the UK market) but if I was you I would be asking serious questions about supply and how come they are being so seriously compromised by grey imports.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back