• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So is the Canon R5 a bird photography body? (1 Viewer)

I imagine the RF lens should perform better than it's EF equivalent but there are few you can compare at the moment. I'm not going to let go of my 500mm f4 any time soon!

I was shocked at the AF performance difference between the EF24-70 and the RF24-70 2.8 lenses. The speed difference and hit rate especially in challenging light is like night and day. We will be rewarded with a flood of large aperture RF telephotos in the coming year.

I was shocked at the AF performance difference between the EF24-70 and the RF24-70 2.8 lenses. The speed difference and hit rate especially in challenging light is like night and day. We will be rewarded with a flood of large aperture RF telephotos in the coming year.
I certainly wouldn't question your comparisons and would in all probability expect any like for like RF lens to be a bit better but out of interest are your observations based on using both lenses at the same time ,same subject, same light etc or a more subjective kind of thought process? I have had the quickest of tests using the RF100-500 and it was instantly fast to focus but so is my 100-400MK 2 when using the adapter as is my 500mm Mk2 with the 1.4TC Mk3.
In all probability I will get the 100-500 because 20% extra reach is not insignificant but neither is the cost of buying the lens plus RF 1.4 TC.

Same conditions. But the difference was in horrible light. In excellent light, the EF does just great. Thank you Canon for making the RF body backwards compatible. The R5 and R6 AF systems are a tremendous upgrade to anything unless you’re used to a 1Dx Mk3 so nailing shots with the newest mirrorless bodies is so much easier. The hardest target is a running toddler in a dimly lit room. :)

Last edited:
Must say with the brief outing I've had with the R5 I've not noticed a lot of difference with focus lock on the EF500mm if anything it locks a little quicker but that might be the camera's AF system. I've not read that Canon are producing a RF 500/600 any time soon but assume they will eventually, given the EF500 at WEX is now pushing £10k I'm unlikely to take a punt on a RF version

Another image with the R5...Little Grebe

Attachments

• untitled-449-Edit.jpg
    untitled-449-Edit.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
That's an excellent image, Kevin...have you tried the R5 with the 500 f4 / EF adapter?

I was considering moving to mirrorless ( from my 1D3 and 7D ) to a R5 / R6 but, they would have to work with my 500 f4 and the rest of my EF lenses.

That's an excellent image, Kevin...have you tried the R5 with the 500 f4 / EF adapter?

I was considering moving to mirrorless ( from my 1D3 and 7D ) to a R5 / R6 but, they would have to work with my 500 f4 and the rest of my EF lenses.
They do as long as you have the EF-EOSR adapter. I think that perhaps the electronics on a Mk1 500mm f4 might not be as good/fast as a Mk2 but they will work.

Thanks Dave...I'd love a 500 f4 Mk2 but, the ridiculous £9500 price tag is way out of my reach...thinking back, in 2006 I paid £4300 for my 500f4LIS which makes todays prices just crazy.

Yes. I have the mark i, but it still works extremely well with the EF/RF control ring adapter - here's a photo with this combination.
https://www.birdforum.net/gallery/black-wheatear.651384/
The only thing is that I found it is better with the IS turned off, since I found that it would be on all the time and therefore wears the battery down.
This combination is much better for birds in flight, since the limited field of view and smaller focus area of the 800mm f11 makes it difficult to keep small birds in flight to the centre of the focus area - although the subject/eye detection helps out greatly!

Yes. I have the mark i, but it still works extremely well with the EF/RF control ring adapter - here's a photo with this combination.
https://www.birdforum.net/gallery/black-wheatear.651384/
The only thing is that I found it is better with the IS turned off, since I found that it would be on all the time and therefore wears the battery down.
This combination is much better for birds in flight, since the limited field of view and smaller focus area of the 800mm f11 makes it difficult to keep small birds in flight to the centre of the focus area - although the subject/eye detection helps out greatly!
I have looking at the 800mm f11 and debating should I get one. The price is very tempting but f11 isn't! You mention the smaller focus area, does that mean it doesn't cover the whole of the screen? I was amazed that all the focus points seem active when using my 100-400 with a 2x TC attached as it wouldn't AF at all other than in LiveView using my 1DX2.

Thanks Kevin...if I do go down the R5 / R6 route it's good to know that the 500 Mk1 is going to work, along with my other lenses.

Also, excellent picture of the Black Wheatear, really like that.

The R5 and R6 contain Canon’s most advanced AF system. If you can’t make it work, it’s not the camera. :) And AF performance on RF lenses is definitely superior to AF performance on an EF lens with an adapter.
Do you think? My replacement R5 arrived half an hour ago.

This one works as it should.

Another example of the images quality of the R5, taken yesterday of a Ring-necked Duck (vagrant to the UK) doing the rounds in Greater Manchester...Canon R5 + EF/EOS R Control Adaptor + EF 500mm mkII + 1.4 ext mkIII (all Canon kit)

Attachments

• untitled-769-Edit-Edit.jpg
    untitled-769-Edit-Edit.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Very nice picture.

I am still very much in the havering mode regarding the R5 and will wait until the R7 with a crop factor hopefully materialises later this year. Still in lockdown and pretty much confined to the garden (but, being very ancient, due for second jab on Friday) so I am in no hurry.

In the meantime, I have been using my 1.4 tc 3 with my 100-400 2 on my 6-year old 7D2. I did some AF tuning with this combo and I am pleased with the results on static subjects, and improving with birds in flight but would welcome more focus points. What I did not realise until fairly recently is that even with the tc attached, the minimal focus distance remains the same, which is great for insects.

Regarding the R7 here is a link allegedly unboxing the camera - although this must be a spoof

Colin

For me that's a R5....some pointers, there will be no LED screen on "R7" suggest the R7 likely won't have a CFEx card slot either

The R5 is definitely a bird photography body. I cannot find anything bad to say about it apart from the cost. I have tried with the 1.6 crop in camera which works great and I have just posted a stacked EF MKIII converters shot in dull conditions effective 1120mm. Eye detect autofocus still working well even at this focal length. I could not have used that combination ever on my 7D MKII or 5D MKIV.

Very impressive, Dale.

Have you used the 1.4 tc and 2x tc separately, and with which lenses? I have the 100-400 mk2 and 1.4 tc mk3 and handhold. If so, how do they compare, please? I am still hung up over 'losing' the reach of my 7D2.

Shall probably wait until we have more definite news of the rumoured R7.

Thanks

Colin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back