• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So is the Canon R5 a bird photography body? (2 Viewers)

I dug out my old Canon EF 400/F5.6 for the first time in three and a half years and gave it a run-out this morning.

The battery was fully charged, but high speed plus shutter on electronic first curtain wasn't available for some reason, which I put down to the lens. The H+ icon flashed white on the screen. The high speed returned when I switched to my Sigma 150-600 Sport later in the morning. The old Canon seemed to hold focus better than the Sigma, but this might be my imagination.

Attachments

• Eider-(13)-fbook.jpg
    Eider-(13)-fbook.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 59
Can any R5 users recommend a SD card and card reader for transferring R5 Raw's to my PC . I would never shoot video so assume a decent SD card will suffice.

Can any R5 users recommend a SD card and card reader for transferring R5 Raw's to my PC . I would never shoot video so assume a decent SD card will suffice.
I got the ProGrade 128GB UHS-II card (the gold one, not the more expensive cobalt one). Seems fine for photos including long bursts.

Thanks Mike, I always use Lexar CF cards on my DSLR's and they have never let my down so I will get one ordered up. How do you transfer the files to a Computer for editing?
Roy.
You may need to figure out whether you want to shoot RAW at 20fps for bursts. It's not something that I've done or ever likely to do but worth checking out. I would use the CFE card in that unlikely scenario.
BTW. I also bought a slightly faster Sandisk Extreme pro SD card which equated to about 3 times the cost of the Lexar and for stills it's just the same.
I use a Mac and simply plug the card into the SD slot. You could also tether the camera via a cable but for me that's not necessary.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Roy

Have I missed something but have you actually bought an R5?

I currently use a Lexar Professional USB 3 dual slot reader which caters for SD cards and CF cards (you remember them?)

PS I also use an Integral SD card reader - at least for trips - and when was that last and when will it be next? Lightweight and plugs into a USB socket (not C) and is probably USB 2 and not very fast.

I bought the same Lexar card as MJN but it’s my back up card. Like Mike I just slip in to the SD slot on my computer but SD card are prone to more wear and tear . Personally I'd buy a CFexpress card and a card reader. More expensive but better made and so much faster. The electronic shutter is the only totally silent mode and the fps is frightening. You take far more images than you intend but for action you might want to use it. Likewise the video, you might be tempted to try a single frame grab shot or whatever. The camera cost enough, you might as well spend a bit extra and get maximum potential out of it.
I bought the Sony Tough CFexpress, 128gb is just about big enough for a big day of shooting stills, especially if you have the Lexar SD 128gb as back up. You can always transfer the images in camera to clear more space on the CFexpress if you are desperate!
I bought the Lexar from Amazon, the CFexpress from Tecobuy who despite some bad reviews delivered as promised and they are a lot cheaper than other retailers. If you order the CFexpress you need the type B.

Depending on what computer you have you might need to buy a USB-C to USB 2 adapter to transfer the images either directly from the camera or using a CFexpress card reader. I bought a Nonda set from Amazon for jus a few pounds.

Last edited:
Roy

Have I missed something but have you actually bought an R5?

I currently use a Lexar Professional USB 3 dual slot reader which caters for SD cards and CF cards (you remember them?)
Not got one yet but about to Colin (I have just got the quotes from MPB for my two DSLR's). I have USB3 on my PC and triple slot reader but not sure that the SD slot will take the latest SD cards. BTW I still prefer CF cards to SD with my current DSLR's, just like the larger form factor.

I bought the same Lexar card as MJN but it’s my back up card. Like Mike I just slip in to the SD slot on my computer but SD card are prone to more wear and tear . Personally I'd buy a CFexpress card and a card reader. More expensive but better made and so much faster. The electronic shutter is the only totally silent mode and the fps is frightening. You take far more images than you intend but for action you might want to use it. Likewise the video, you might be tempted to try a single frame grab shot or whatever. The camera cost enough, you might as well spend a bit extra and get maximum potential out of it.
I bought the Sony Tough CFexpress, 128gb is just about big enough for a big day of shooting stills, especially if you have the Lexar SD 128gb as back up. You can always transfer the images in camera to clear more space on the CFexpress if you are desperate!
I bought the Lexar from Amazon, the CFexpress from Tecobuy who despite some bad reviews delivered as promised and they are a lot cheaper than other retailers. If you order the CFexpress you need the type B.

Depending on what computer you have you might need to buy a USB-C to USB 2 adapter to transfer the images either directly from the camera or using a CFexpress card reader. I bought a Nonda set from Amazon for jus a few pounds.
Thanks for the info Dave. I am sure the CFexpress cards are best but as I do very little photography these days and never use Video they seems an overkill for me. Just need something for the occasional walkabouts.

Okay guys. Almost ready to take the plunge for the R5 from Panamoz.

Just to clarify some points from previous posts:

I will need a Sony Tough 128 gb CF express card type B from probably Tecobuy;
also a Lexar Pro 3.1 CF express card type B reader from from Wex;
plus a Lexar Professional SDXC card probably from Amazon - I am assuming that I shall be able to use my existing SD card reader for this.

There are various gurus on the web suggesting ideal settings - any suggestions as to whom might be the best please?

Adobe has not yet caught up with CR3 colour profiles, I believe. I use Bridge and Photoshop. It seems that some people use DPP to convert Raw images. Any thoughts please?

Don't forget the EF-EOSR adapter in the same package from Panamoz !!! Up to you , I got the control ring one but not needed IMO. Maybe if you shoot AV it has more use as you can use it to adjust exposure compensation. I use manual for everything.
Have patience with Tecobuy, you'll hear little but it will arrive in the time given in my experience...3 weeks.
Adobe CC ( Lightroom and Photoshop will open CR3 files but the older versions won't. They want you to upgrade and pay monthly. DPP will handle the files, I use it to view and cull unwanted ones but mostly that's all. You can use it to convert to a Tiff file and use old versions of Adobe.

My Mac won't open the files either so to view or work on them I use DPP and just drag an image in to PS directly from DPP. I could open the whole folder to view and edit on Lightroom CC but choose not to.

Settings...so much to learn but an enjoyable curve. Wait until you have your hands on the camera before asking!

Hope you get your new toy soon Colin. You won't regret it.

Okay guys. Almost ready to take the plunge for the R5 from Panamoz.

There are various gurus on the web suggesting ideal settings - any suggestions as to whom might be the best please?
Good luck, I can't add much from Dave's (always) comprehensive replies but there's a cold Easter weekend coming so you'd do well to spend some time watching YouTube videos to whet your appetite. I'd recommend searching for Canon R5 Whistling Wings Photography & Jan Wegener, I have mine set up similar but not identical to their excellent recommendations. They saved me days in trial and error if I'd used my own methods.

As an aside, now that I've been able to get out and about with lockdown easing, I've experienced camera lock-up issues daily; a common fault when putting the camera through its paces it would seem. 🤨

I'm using Integral SD cards, a brand I switched to after attending the Canon Full-frame roadshow when they handed them out in goody bags. There have been several suggestions suggesting the reasons for the lock-ups but none seem to be card, lens or battery specific. It only becomes apparent after long shoots. The most recent lock-up happened when I was focussing on a bird, it's happened before but only in burst mode. It's not a new phenomenon.

I'm using Integral SD cards, a brand I switched to after attending the Canon Full-frame roadshow when they handed them out in goody bags. There have been several suggestions suggesting the reasons for the lock-ups but none seem to be card, lens or battery specific. It only becomes apparent after long shoots. The most recent lock-up happened when I was focussing on a bird, it's happened before but only in burst mode. It's not a new phenomenon.

Interesting read which is inconclusive though. Seems most suspect memory cards or the combination of trying to write to two at once maybe, the slower one failing to keep up and hence the camera freezes? Touch wood again, I haven't tried using Canon Connect yet, must do and see what happens!

Interesting read which is inconclusive though. Seems most suspect memory cards or the combination of trying to write to two at once maybe, the slower one failing to keep up and hence the camera freezes? Touch wood again, I haven't tried using Canon Connect yet, must do and see what happens!
I don't think the cards are the problem as the last time mine locked up I was only focussing on the bird and hadn't taken any shots for a while. I'm using a single SD card and shooting short bursts with CRAW.

Canon Connect is a great app, I've used it to transfer images to my iPad. I can operate the camera with my iPhone but I prefer to have my eye up to the EVF for all shots other than low-level when I have the screen flipped out. Have to say though, problems aside, it's a phenomenal camera. I can't see myself going back to a DSLR after using mirrorless for the last 2 years. The animal eye tracking is out of this world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back