• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So is the Canon R5 a bird photography body? (1 Viewer)

Thanks Colin. Bempton Cliffs. Shortly after I finally caught up with this. :)
Amazing albatross - rare according to my books! Went with a friend to Bempton Cliffs in 2007. Canon 7D and 100-400 mk 1. Just checked snaps and they stand up quite well. Would love to go again with the new kit

Using the R5 + RF 100-500 for butterfly close-ups.
Dark Green Fritillary:

Russ

I'm a macro photographer and in this image the eye is so far from sharp that I would delete it as soon as I'd looked at it.

It wouldn't sell me the combo for insect photography but I expect there are so many 'similar' features to eyes in a butterfly (e.g. ends of the antennae) that the eye autofocus would be hit and miss.

On the river this morning

Attachments

• Banded-Demoiselle-(6)-fbook.jpg
    Banded-Demoiselle-(6)-fbook.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Banded-Demoiselle-(21)-fbook.jpg
    Banded-Demoiselle-(21)-fbook.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Banded-Demoiselle-(36)-fbook.jpg
    Banded-Demoiselle-(36)-fbook.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Banded-Demoiselle-(103)-fbook.jpg
    Banded-Demoiselle-(103)-fbook.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 26
  • Banded-Demoiselle-(67)-fbook.jpg
    Banded-Demoiselle-(67)-fbook.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 27
I'm a macro photographer and in this image the eye is so far from sharp that I would delete it as soon as I'd looked at it.

It wouldn't sell me the combo for insect photography but I expect there are so many 'similar' features to eyes in a butterfly (e.g. ends of the antennae) that the eye autofocus would be hit and miss.
Thank you Paul for your detailed critique of my photo.

Russ

Thank you Paul for your detailed critique of my photo.

Russ
Apologies if I was a bit harsh but I wouldn't want to be spending £7278 for the combo (today's price at Wex!) to get photos that I can achieve with my ageing Canon 600D plus EF 70-300 f4-5.IS II USM (bought for a total of just over £500).

I do have the EOS-RP which I use with my 100mm macro and it is a good combination.

Perhaps a "So is the Canon R5 an insect photography body " thread is needed.

I have been using my R5 + 100-400 mk2 + 1.4 tc mk 3 to snap insects from the garden

Heliophilos pendulus

1482 Helophilus pendulus.jpg

A Common Darter perched on the washing line just as my wife was starting to reel it up

1509 Common Darter.jpg

Small White in flight - a pair is much easier to focus on than one on its own

1518 Small White.jpg

And, finally, a bird

1524 Sparrowhawk.jpg

Colin

At long last the RF 800mm f11 has arrived. I have several thoughts about this lens. But before all that, here are a couple of pictures. These are from my first outing with the lens last Friday — a short hop from my patch to the cliffs just south of Land’s End.

choughs resized.jpg

I should have mentioned: the above photos haven't been cropped at all.
One great advantage of an 800mm lens is being able to get optically close to birds while staying physically distant, as in the case of the pic of the Choughs above. So important not to disturb them, especially when they're nesting or have fledged young (as in the above)!

Love my R5 but I hate that it will overheat easily when shooting video and I am not even shooting at 4K most of the time but I am using the 120 FPS

Camera info below
CameraCanon EOS R5
LensCanon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Focal Length400.0 mm (399.4 mm in 35mm)
Aperturef/4.5
Exposure Time0.00013s (1/8000)
ISO1250

RTB_5962-X3.jpg

C

Love my R5 but I hate that it will overheat easily when shooting video and I am not even shooting at 4K most of the time but I am using the 120 FPS

Camera info below
CameraCanon EOS R5
LensCanon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Focal Length400.0 mm (399.4 mm in 35mm)
Aperturef/4.5
Exposure Time0.00013s (1/8000)
ISO1250

RTB_5962-X3.jpg

C

Don't take this the wrong way but if video is important to you, buy a video camera.
Camera companies have made a rod for their own backs, I'd love a R7 style camera that did stills only. Rip out all the video stuff and focus on stills.
It is interesting that all the "youtube infuencers" tell you that you need video...... because they shoot video. They need it to earn money but I don't.
I have no interest in it at all.
A still only R5 or R7 and I'll press the button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back