• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So what's the verdict (1 Viewer)

On the new Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 REFURBISHED direct from Nikon $699, everyone happy with their purchase? Thinking about adding some to the collection but would like a few more opinions before I take the plunge.
I purchased a refurbished pair of Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 from B&H Photo when Nikon offered a 20% discount ($699 x 80% = $559.20), which B&H Photo price matched for me. I was hesitant to buy them directly from Nikon due to its a very strict return policy on refurbished binoculars. (They must not have been opened in order to return refurbished bins to Nikon). I am very pleased with the purchase. The only disadvantage I have noticed is chromatic aberration, especially when viewed off axis. Otherwise, they are a very nice set of binoculars, especially at the reduced price of $559.

All I’m saying is the EDG is clearly superior and they are clearly not the same.
Hello,

yes I agree!

The EDG are absolutely high-level, it is probably just a matter of taste whether you prefer to use an EL, SF, Noctivid or EDG, optically all 1 league.
The MHG, Conquest etc. just don't reach this level.

Andreas

I get what people are saying and it may well be true, but when people talk about coatings and glass being different or changed without actual proof then it’s really just speculation, or many times even a bias to justify a purchase. I see it often in the rifle scope industry, so much as thinking different color hues on lenses means the coating or glass has changed when that’s not the case.

Again, not doubting anyone’s opinion on said bins, but that’s really all it is without factual proof when it comes to glass grades or coatings. It doesn’t help when so called reputable people make claims like this.

How can a 2nd tier instrument be ahead of so many and so close to the so called toalphas for a fraction of the price. Is this site false because it contradicts with many other reviews.

Then there’s reviews like this, it’s no wonder people get confused.

Again I’m not doubting anyone’s own personal opinion and the edg is probably better, or it should be, I don’t know,....but until facts from the manufacturers are presented or test are done with multiple units of each sample it’s only opinion.

Also guys, I say this as respectfully as I can, please don’t take it in a disrespectful way or think I’m doubting anyone here. It’s more so the reviews and contradiction of various places that claim to be reputable, and I’m not referring to this forum which I generally hold in the highest regard.

Last edited:
How can a 2nd tier instrument be ahead of so many and so close to the so called toalphas for a fraction of the price. Is this site false because it contradicts with many other reviews.
Hi there,

you are asking for a fixed system that does not exist with binoculars that always have to be viewed subjectively!
It's like with cars, one likes Ford, the other Mercedes!
I would change the ranking of allbino's at some points, but you shouldn't perceive it as an apodictic truth either, individual preferences are very different, it is always better to form your own evaluation.

Andreas

Denco, comparing the Nikon E11 8x30 and the Habicht 10x40GA, in your opinion:
Which has the most relaxing view?
Which is easier to hold & carry?

Of course if you need waterproof the Nikon E11 is excluded from any choice, but I find it a particularly pleasing instrument to use, and have never had anyone using my pair comment that the view is dark, has a red bias, is not neutral, lacks contrast (see signature)
I think a better comparison is the Nikon 10x35 EII, one that is not often mentioned on here. I recently compared both the Nikon and my 10x40
Habicht. They both have their advantages, the EII is easier on the eyes, and with the wider FOV does very nicely.

If you are thinking 8X, then you should compare the 8x30 EII and the 8x30 Habicht. The same attributes of the Nikon apply there also.

And I will add, the Monarch HG 10x42 is also a very good choice.
Jerry

I get what people are saying and it may well be true, but when people talk about coatings and glass being different or changed without actual proof then it’s really just speculation, or many times even a bias to justify a purchase.
One must make some effort to determine what sort of person one is dealing with.

Last edited:
I think a better comparison is the Nikon 10x35 EII, one that is not often mentioned on here. I recently compared both the Nikon and my 10x40
Habicht. They both have their advantages, the EII is easier on the eyes, and with the wider FOV does very nicely.

If you are thinking 8X, then you should compare the 8x30 EII and the 8x30 Habicht. The same attributes of the Nikon apply there also.

And I will add, the Monarch HG 10x42 is also a very good choice.
Jerry

Thanks to Jerry's advice, I own and enjoy both my 8x30 and 10x35 EII's. I spent an afternoon shore birding with a friend's 10x40 Habicht in green rubber armor a while back. I agree with Jerry's comparisons. For me either Nikon handles better. They're smaller and lighter as well.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back