• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Soliciting Pentax DCF SP 8x32 Opinions (1 Viewer)

tlb

Greetings,

I am searching for a smaller pair of binoculars primarily for travel and casual use. Given that these will not be my primary optics, I would not be at all opposed to a more fiscally conservative solution for this pair. (For primary use, I will be procuring Nikon 8x32 SEs and, pending examination, Zeiss Victory FLs.)

I had considered 8x20s from Swarovski, Leica and Nikon but found that I just didn't enjoy using them. ( I think it is a combination of light weight/low inertia and small exit pupil but whatever the reasons, the image just wasn't as stable and "easy" as larger glasses.)

I have now settled (for today, at least) on 8x32s roofs as a compromise. I have looked at the Nikon HG/LX and was favorably impressed. I had hoped to compare the Nikon to the new Pentax DCF SP but have been completely stymied in my attempts to find a pair locally (Edmonton, Alberta).

I was wondering if anyone owns or has had the opportunity to closely examine the Pentax.

Thanks very much,

Tony

Tony,
I have not tried the Pentax binocs you mentioned, but I do own a somewhat smaller model - the 8x28 DCF MP, which would be great for travel. They are somewhat less expensive than the other models you are considering, but I think you'd like them. I think they are great - VERY fast focus, water-proof, phase corrected, etc. They got a glowing review in Birdwatcher's Digest, which said they are a good compromise between very compact and 8x32s, with the best features of both types.

Hi:
I have the sp 8x32 and think they are great as does everybody who has used mine. Not exactly compact but nice to carry around. I bought them at 17thStreetPhoto via internet for $360 which was the best price I found. A bargain at that price.

Cheers,
Craig Ryder

Pentax DCF SP

tlb said:
Greetings,

I am searching for a smaller pair of binoculars primarily for travel and casual use. Given that these will not be my primary optics, I would not be at all opposed to a more fiscally conservative solution for this pair. (For primary use, I will be procuring Nikon 8x32 SEs and, pending examination, Zeiss Victory FLs.)

I had considered 8x20s from Swarovski, Leica and Nikon but found that I just didn't enjoy using them. ( I think it is a combination of light weight/low inertia and small exit pupil but whatever the reasons, the image just wasn't as stable and "easy" as larger glasses.)

I have now settled (for today, at least) on 8x32s roofs as a compromise. I have looked at the Nikon HG/LX and was favorably impressed. I had hoped to compare the Nikon to the new Pentax DCF SP but have been completely stymied in my attempts to find a pair locally (Edmonton, Alberta).

I was wondering if anyone owns or has had the opportunity to closely examine the Pentax.

Thanks very much,

Tony

The is a very favorable review of the SPs on the Better View Desired website. Also, 17th Street Photo is offering the 8x32 @ $359.89 plus a $50 rebate.

Pentax DCF SP

There is a very favorable review of the SPs on the Better View Desired website. Also, 17th Street Photo is offering the 8x32 SP for $359.89 and that price is before a $50 rebate.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back