• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Solognac binoculars (decathlon) (1 Viewer)

Jaime74

Hi there!

Has anyone tried those binoculars, from the 100 or 500 series (10x32, 8x42....)

They are sold at Decathlon, the french sport seller, they are quite affordable 80-90€, waterproof and the image quality seems very nice.

Has anyone tried them in the field?

Jamie,

I appreciate they are a French company, but I only 'discovered' Decathlon on a visit to Madrid early this year and was surprised to find a branch opened locally a couple of months ago. I've visited it a few times. I've been impressed by the good value stuff on offer, but so far I've only spotted a couple of compact binoculars in blister packs and not been able to try them. However, the information on their website is not particularly encouraging.

Under the binocular product benefits they have a category "Polarised" and list 70% for the 500 series and 60% for the 100 series. I suppose "Polarised" is meant to indicate phase correction and the percentage is the transmission figures. Those numbers would be very poor, and the the field of view values not much better, if you can trust the numbers. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the writer had the feintest understanding of binoculars specifications and I wouldn't have any confidence they were correct. I couldn't dismiss them as an option, but I'd be cautious and would personally need a way to try them before I'd part with any money.

David

Last edited:
Thanks Typo, I will try them outdoors and then decide if I buy them or not. The price seems right, but if the image quality is as poor as they say...the will go back to the shop.

Thanks for the advice.

Any field test/use?

Some months ago I looked in store through the 100 10x42, the 500 10x32 and the 500 10x42. The increase on price was reflected on the image quality but would like to have some field report to know if I should recommend any to a young birder...

Any field test/use?

Some months ago I looked in store through the 100 10x42, the 500 10x32 and the 500 10x42. The increase on price was reflected on the image quality but would like to have some field report to know if I should recommend any to a young birder...
A little bit late but i got the 500 10*42, it was around 100 euros, It has stand a lot of heavy use, have a nice sharpness, I have tested 300 euros ones from nikon and they are better of course, but only slightly. So they are a solid option if you dont want to spend a fortune.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back