• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some images with Canon 1D IV & 600mm F4 II (1 Viewer)

Birdman7

Bird photographer
Hi folks,

Leaving you with some images of the above mentioned kit.

The photos are of Spanish Imperial Eagle, Blue Tit, Hawfinch & Great Tit.

Regards.

Attachments

• Spanish-Imperial-Eagle-flight.jpg
    Spanish-Imperial-Eagle-flight.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 181
  • Blue-Tit-2-WM.JPG
    Blue-Tit-2-WM.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 180
  • Hawfinch-WM.JPG
    Hawfinch-WM.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 186
  • Great-Tit-2-WM.jpg
    Great-Tit-2-WM.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 180
Hi Birdman, the three images of the smaller birds don't exhibit very good composition for me. They look way to big in the frame and the depth of field is also too shallow for my liking. The Eagle fares better in those areas but unfortunately appears to be out of focus.
Best regards.

Last edited:
You'll need to tell us what settings you used (aperture, shutter speed and ISO) and how you processed them, especially how much you cropped, if any. Also what AF method did you use?

I'm assuming you cropped those pictures? I wouldn't have cropped so much. With pics like #2,3,4 I prefer the bird to be slightly off centre and looking into space (like this I took the other day. Just an example to show my point. I'm not saying it's a great photo or anything).

If they are uncropped then 600mm may be too much reach for tits etc up close, a 100-400 or similar may be better (or 300 f2.8 if you have the cash).

I can't see the EXIF data but for birds up so close that aren't sideways one you may need to step down to f8 or lower. #4 is sharper as it is sideways on perhaps.

Anyway I'm not an expert, just my thoughts.

Workflow

All shot with 600mmL lens, uncropped and generally shot wide open on Manual mode, Evaluative, using AF servo using one spot on the side where the head is.

There was not much scope for me either to use a smaller lens or get further back and they are not meant as the ultimate composition examples, just sharing some images.

You'll need to tell us what settings you used (aperture, shutter speed and ISO) and how you processed them, especially how much you cropped, if any. Also what AF method did you use?

I'm assuming you cropped those pictures? I wouldn't have cropped so much. With pics like #2,3,4 I prefer the bird to be slightly off centre and looking into space (like this I took the other day. Just an example to show my point. I'm not saying it's a great photo or anything).

If they are uncropped then 600mm may be too much reach for tits etc up close, a 100-400 or similar may be better (or 300 f2.8 if you have the cash).

I can't see the EXIF data but for birds up so close that aren't sideways one you may need to step down to f8 or lower. #4 is sharper as it is sideways on perhaps.

Anyway I'm not an expert, just my thoughts.

My personal preference is the tits look a bit oversharpened, the great tit a bit noisy consequently. I know a lot of folks prefer the super-sharp end game, but I find it makes birds look a bit plastic.

With due respect I would have expected a lot better than this from a $12000 (£9000 in the UK) Lens. The light was obviously poor for the second and third shot and the flyer is fairly soft. In all 4 the colour seems off to me - certainly over-saturated.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back