• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some kind of Hawks, juvenile probably, help with ID (1 Viewer)

I saw them and heard them talking and playing with each other. I was only able to get 1 shot of them.

Attachments

• 001a.jpg
    001a.jpg
    670.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 001a (2).jpg
    001a (2).jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 001 small.jpg
    001 small.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 43
The middle one is almost certainly a Cooper’s (looking on a larger monitor) imo so I would assume the top bird in 1 and 3 also is. The bottom one looks rounder headed and shorter winged but that could be the angle of the head and that the top bird is female chasing a smaller Cooper’s male.

The middle one is almost certainly a Cooper’s (looking on a larger monitor) imo so I would assume the top bird in 1 and 3 also is. The bottom one looks rounder headed and shorter winged but that could be the angle of the head and that the top bird is female chasing a smaller Cooper’s male.
Great, thanks

Looking at those skinny legs, I'd go with a Sharpie!
I agree the legs look skinny KC but I put that down to ‘movement in the image’ and them not being focussed - do you think maybe the tail looks rather rounded and full for a Sharpie and the undertail coverts very bushy?

You have probably seen more Sharpies and Coopers than I have hot dinners though so happy to bow to your greater experience here!

@ Crow Lover, it could well be the squirrels that are attracting Cooper’s but they mainly hunt small birds so if you have feeders up, this will also attract them. (Feeders can be made a bit safer from hawk attacks by positioning them near some cover or by using a baffle over the top of the feeders, however, they are the canaries of a healthy local eco-system so enjoy!)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back