• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some Naval eponyms after 3 young men (among others) lost at Sea (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
I happened to find this page (by L'Association amicale des anciens élèves de l'École navale ...), which looks fairly trustworthy, and noticed that the first three men in that list are commemorated in various birds (either valid or invalid) ...

So here´s some additional info (and some possibly contradictory years) on the following eponyms:

marescoti as in:
• the invalid "Edolisoma marescoti" JACQUINOT & PUCHERAN 1853 (here) [Synonym of Edolisoma melas LESSON 1828]
= the French Naval officer Jacques Marie Eugène Marescot-Duthilleul (1809/10?–1839), Lieutenant de vaisseau, on the Corvette Astrolabe in the Pacific 1838-1839.

NOTE: According to the Richmond Card (here) he was born "Oct.22.1810" ... !? Which birth date/year is truly correct is unknown to me. I only noted the different claims. If his surname truly is/was written this way, or as "Marescot du Thilleul" (like in today's HBW Alive Key), is also unknown to me.

But to me it looks like he was born 26 October 1809, in Bologne-sur-Mer ... and died 8 December 1839, on the Indian Ocean (here) at the age of 30.

lafargei as in:
• Scarlet-naped Myzomela Myzomela lafargei JACQUINOT & PUCHERAN 1853 (here) a k a Scarlet-naped Honeyeater, Red-naped Honeyeater, Bougainville Honeyeater or Small Bougainville Honeyeater alt. ditto Myzomela
= the French Ensign (Junior Naval officer) Antoine Auguste Thérèse Pavin de La Farge (1812–1839), Enseigne de vaisseau, on the Corvette Zélée

Born 24 July 1812, in Viviers (Ardèche) ... died 27 November 1839, on the Indian Ocean (here), at the age of 27.

gourdini as in:
• the subspecies Pycnonotus goiavier gourdini "GRAY 1847?"* (here?) as "Ixos gourdini"
= the French Ensign Jean Marie Émile Gourdin (18131839), Enseigne de vaisseau, on the Corvette Astrolabe in the Pacific 1838-1839.

Born 10 January 1813, in Port-Louis ... died 8 December 1839, on the Indian Ocean (here), at the age of 26.

Three short careers in a rough line of work!

If there´s any doubt there´s also an e-mailadress to use for any questions!

Any other lost French Mariners might be found on the same site, here (and thats only the first part, names in between; Abaziou - Annequin, the very first page of several others), see bottom page, right hand corner: == > suite == > or use the search-page (here). This site could be a "Gold-mine", for anyone searching for naturalist/Naval officers "lost at Sea"!

However: enjoy!

Björn
*Why this subspecies is attributed to "Gray 1847" is beyond my understanding, as it´s published in the same work as (right in between) the former two ... !? Is it somehow because of the reference to Bonaparte's "Pycnonotus gourdini, Gr. [Gray] ex Hombr. et Jacquin." (here) from 1850... ? But from where ... in 1847? Is it this one, here? If so, there it´s written P. [Pycnonotus] Yourdini." Yet another typo? And even if so, is this enough for being an OD? The different writings, Yourdini versus gourdini is also commented on Zoonomen, see Nomenclature link, for "Pycnonotus goiavier yourdini", here.

Can be confimed by Etat civil 5 MIR 160/14 Boulogne-sur-Mer 1807 1813 p. 653/1386 here. I am not sure abou -Duthilleul part.
The handwriting is terrible but, even though the name in the margin is just given as "Jacques Marescot", the name of his father is certainly Marescot-Duthilleul in the text:
[...] un enfant du sexe masculin né le jour d'hier à trois heures après midy de Mr Jean Augustin Marescot-Duthilleul, capitaine des grenadiers [...]
(on 8th and 9th lines of the act.)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back