• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some of my Swift bins.. (1 Viewer)

johnbaz

Hi all

I think I have around five or six Swift binoculars, The 12x50 just seem wonderfully 'old fashioned'!!

From memory they're nicely sharp and quite heavy!!

The 10x50 are lightweight and don't have the quality feel of the heavyweight 12x50..

The Ascot's are nice as are the 8x40 Tecnars :t:

Cheers, John |=)|

Attachments

• gqectVZ.jpg
    gqectVZ.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 109
  • jQylmtZ.jpg
    jQylmtZ.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 93
  • wBwzyBC.jpg
    wBwzyBC.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Ua4hSQc.jpg
    Ua4hSQc.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 1bvNnQ2.jpg
    1bvNnQ2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 87
Hi John,

Purely out of curiosity, can you find any JB numbers/markings on your 12x50? That's the old style body similar to that used for the early Audubons and other binoculars, Bausch & Lomb style.

H.H. Swift would be happy that so many old Swifts are still being used today. I took out my 7x35 for my four hour morning stint earlier. I'm not a massive fan of 7x mag but that huge field of view sucks me in every time.

Regards
patudo

The serial number suggests 1977, yes? My first Audubons were 1978 and very similar--except for the branding due to different sales regions (California USA).

It seems the 12X, 50 on a tripod would be a good shore-bird glass. The Audubon came with a threaded mounting hole on one barrel--but yours does not seem to have this?

Hi John,

Purely out of curiosity, can you find any JB numbers/markings on your 12x50? That's the old style body similar to that used for the early Audubons and other binoculars, Bausch & Lomb style.

H.H. Swift would be happy that so many old Swifts are still being used today. I took out my 7x35 for my four hour morning stint earlier. I'm not a massive fan of 7x mag but that huge field of view sucks me in every time.

Regards
patudo

Hio Patudo

Sorry, I'd forgotten that I'd posted these, Just had a look, The number is JB251, According to the code site, these were made at Toho Optical Mfg. Co., Ltd., Tokyo..

Cheers, John :t:

Here's another Swift binocular that I found at the bootsale for £10 recently, It's an 8x40 Trilyte although I think someone has messed with them as the nearest focus is around 100 feet :eek!:
They're nice an bright though beyond that!!

They came in a nice leather case and seem to have been in it for most of their existence! :t:

John |=)|

Attachments

• qbKOf6i.jpg
    qbKOf6i.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 33
  • HfCgPxT.jpg
    HfCgPxT.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 25
  • iCrRImv.jpg
    iCrRImv.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 24
  • t0wSrh4.jpg
    t0wSrh4.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 23
  • WYFyUzJ.jpg
    WYFyUzJ.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 24
All,

You might be interested in this thread for a discussion about TecnaR binoculars. They seem to be economy Swift-Pyser products originating in the 1960s. Being a Pyser brand, however, I'm not convinced that they used the same s/n date convention as Swift binoculars with the traditional bullseye logo. Other Super-TecnaRs have serial numbers that do not appear to correspond with dates.

Ed

Last edited:
All,

You might be interested in this thread for a discussion about TecnaR binoculars. They seem to be economy Swift-Pyser products originating in the 1960s. Being a Pyser brand, however, I'm not convinced that they used the same s/n date convention Swift binoculars employed that had the traditional bullseye logo. Other Super-TecnaRs have serial numbers that do not appear to correspond with dates.

Ed

Many thanks Ed, That was very interesting :t:

Regards, John |=)|

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back