• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some passerines, Malta :) (1 Viewer)

maltese falcon

I would really appreciate you guys confirming/identifying the following migrants. I was really surprised to have found these birds at the side of a road in one of Malta's most built up areas (Sliema for those of you who know where it is).

Im 90% sure these are all wood warblers:

wood1.jpg wood2.jpg
wood3.jpg wood4.jpg

another post to follow....

I think this MAY be a lesser whitethroat:eek!: Its a very scarce bird here so I would be ecstatic if it actually is one:

lwhite1.jpg lwhite2.jpg lwhite3.jpg

one last post to follow...

I think this is a whitethroat, the thing is that I think that it may be the same individual from the previous post in better lighting so either this is a lesser whitethroat in good lighting or the previous is a common whitethroat in bad lighting:

white1.jpg

Thats it, thanks in advance guys :)

You got it right except for the first (and the second one as well) whitethroat, it's a Common whitethroat, note the rufous fringes to the tertials and secondaries.

First four images relate to Wood Warbler, The next four are suggestive of female Collared...the extent of white around the tertials and the white line angled off the greater covert bar to the leading edge of the primaries are both good features for Collared Fly.

cheers

IMO the Flycatcher is a Pied. The primary patch is very thin & small & doesn't extend past the primary coverts.

wood warbler, pied flycatcher and common whitethroat - lesser can be discounted on the rufous fringes in the wing.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back