• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some recent ring observations (1 Viewer)

GiG

United Nations
On my old patch, near to my previous job, I would regularly sight colour-ringed birds. Being an estuary I had an interesting selection of waders, gulls and the odd other species. It did get to a point where I realised I would be scanning a flock of waders but would be checking the legs first!

Since then there has not been much chance unless out on a birding trip or seeing metal-ringed birds in the garden, the latter take patience with many photos to get all angles to get the details.

Just before Xmas, I was on the Suffolk coast and had a couple of sightings - an orange neck-banded Greylag Goose with letters FHH at Covehithe and a colour-ringed Caspian Gull at Minsmere with letters XLEE. Both I've submitted, the former to Bob Swann who has passed it on to another ringer of which I'm still waiting details and the latter which I've put the details received in the image below.

In my garden over Xmas I've found there are at least two metal-ringed Blue Tits but haven't got the full code for either yet. There has also been a Blackbird and eventually I got the full code, CW17151, so have sent details to the BTO and am waiting on its history. Interestingly I was going through further photos taken in the garden earlier in the year and see that of a pair of Blackbirds nesting in the garden the male had a metal ring which I could see some of the letters/numbers matched that now present - obviously likes my garden!

Gi

Attachments

• Greylag Goose FHH.jpg
    Greylag Goose FHH.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Caspian Gull XLEE.jpg
    Caspian Gull XLEE.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • Blackbird CW17.jpg
    Blackbird CW17.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Blackbird 1715.jpg
    Blackbird 1715.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Blackbird 51.jpg
    Blackbird 51.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 5
  • gelbXLEE.JPG
    gelbXLEE.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 9
Well today it was worth sitting in the cold watching the feeders. I finally completed the Blue Tit ring, finding it has just been one bird, present since late November. Ring identification Z497183. Will be sending details to the BTO shortly. I also saw my first Chaffinch of the winter, very unusual. Although I saw it first thing, later on when I got some photos I saw that this is also a ringed individual, of which I only got the last three digits (788) - now another bird that I need to be patient for to get more images to complete the ring ID.

Gi

Attachments

• Blue Tit Z49.jpg
    Blue Tit Z49.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Blue Tit 497.jpg
    Blue Tit 497.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 3
  • Blue Tit 71.jpg
    Blue Tit 71.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Blue Tit 83.jpg
    Blue Tit 83.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Chaffinch 788.jpg
    Chaffinch 788.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 8
Great thread. Keep up the good work and keep us informed of the results.

Thanks. I have had info back from the BTO for the Blackbird - it was ringed during the year it was hatched, sex male on 28-Nov-2012 - making it over 8 years old. This was less than a mile from where I live so definitely likes the area!

Always interesting to get ring reads! Recently had a recovery of a female Sparrowhawk I ringed (here in North Devon) in 2018 - it was found in Plympton - right across the County. Sadly not well and subsequently died.
An eight-year-old Blackbird is good going!

Always interesting to get ring reads! Recently had a recovery of a female Sparrowhawk I ringed (here in North Devon) in 2018 - it was found in Plympton - right across the County. Sadly not well and subsequently died.
An eight-year-old Blackbird is good going!

It is. Interestingly on the BTO submission form, when you tick the box to say the bird is alive the options given don't include from photos - obviously not as easy as reading colour rings! Shame about the Sparrowhawk but at last you had a recovery. Amazing birds to see close up, I've seen a couple at Landguard Bird Observatory.

There has been a male House Sparrow in the garden the last few years with a metal ring (TS52628). It is one of the main males holding territory that I saw during again this Spring but, with the colony now up to 30+ birds, I haven't managed to see if it is still present - I do hope so. These are photos from March 2017.

Attachments

• House Sparrow2.jpg
    House Sparrow2.jpg
    742.4 KB · Views: 4
  • House Sparrow TS5.jpg
    House Sparrow TS5.jpg
    458 KB · Views: 4
  • House Sparrow 52628.jpg
    House Sparrow 52628.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 5
Well today it was worth sitting in the cold watching the feeders. I finally completed the Blue Tit ring, finding it has just been one bird, present since late November. Ring identification Z497183. Will be sending details to the BTO shortly. I also saw my first Chaffinch of the winter, very unusual. Although I saw it first thing, later on when I got some photos I saw that this is also a ringed individual, of which I only got the last three digits (788) - now another bird that I need to be patient for to get more images to complete the ring ID.

Gi

I have had info back from the BTO for the Blue Tit - it was ringed as aged juvenile, sex unknown on 14-Aug-2015 - making it over 5 years old. This was 4km from where I live.

After doing the Big Garden Bird Watch this morning I went for my first walk this year. Going through my local park I saw a colour-ringed Little Egret. I had trouble seeing all of the code but think it was CCC 999. On research looks like it is from a UK and Ireland scheme so I have sent details to them.

Attachments

• Little Egret.jpg
    Little Egret.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Little Egret_1.jpg
    Little Egret_1.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 15
After doing the Big Garden Bird Watch this morning I went for my first walk this year. Going through my local park I saw a colour-ringed Little Egret. I had trouble seeing all of the code but think it was CCC 999. On research looks like it is from a UK and Ireland scheme so I have sent details to them.
Is that not supposed to just be read as 'C' and '9'?

On my old patch, near to my previous job, I would regularly sight colour-ringed birds. Being an estuary I had an interesting selection of waders, gulls and the odd other species. It did get to a point where I realised I would be scanning a flock of waders but would be checking the legs first!

Since then there has not been much chance unless out on a birding trip or seeing metal-ringed birds in the garden, the latter take patience with many photos to get all angles to get the details.

Just before Xmas, I was on the Suffolk coast and had a couple of sightings - an orange neck-banded Greylag Goose with letters FHH at Covehithe and a colour-ringed Caspian Gull at Minsmere with letters XLEE. Both I've submitted, the former to Bob Swann who has passed it on to another ringer of which I'm still waiting details and the latter which I've put the details received in the image below.

In my garden over Xmas I've found there are at least two metal-ringed Blue Tits but haven't got the full code for either yet. There has also been a Blackbird and eventually I got the full code, CW17151, so have sent details to the BTO and am waiting on its history. Interestingly I was going through further photos taken in the garden earlier in the year and see that of a pair of Blackbirds nesting in the garden the male had a metal ring which I could see some of the letters/numbers matched that now present - obviously likes my garden!

Gi

I've now had feedback on the Greylag Goose. This was from Lee of the Hickling goose ring project

The bird you saw was an adult female ringed at Hickling broad in 2012. This bird has been interesting as it has moved quite a way from the ringing site (moulting site) since being ringed. This bird was ringed as an adult but is at least 10 years old. It is good to hear this bird is still going strong however so I'm very grateful for your email.

26-Jun-12 Hickling Broad Norfolk
12-Aug-12 Hickling Broad Norfolk
09-Nov-12 Benacre Broad Suffolk
02-Mar-13 Covehithe Suffolk
08-Jul-14 Covehithe Suffolk
13-Sep-14 Dingle Marshes Suffolk
09-Mar-15 Hen Reedbeds, Reydon Suffolk
06-Apr-15 Benacre Broad Suffolk
11-May-15 Covehithe Suffolk
04-Sep-15 Dingle Marshes Suffolk
19-Jan-16 Covehithe Suffolk
10-Feb-16 Covehithe Suffolk
13-Mar-16 Covehithe Suffolk
04-Jul-16 near Walberswick Suffolk
31-Jul-16 Benacre Broad Suffolk
15-Oct-16 Bridgefoot Marshes, Southwold Suffolk
22-Jan-17 Easton Bavents Suffolk
29-Jan-17 Dingle Marshes Suffolk
19-Feb-17 Covehithe Suffolk
07-Mar-17 Hen Reedbeds, Reydon Suffolk
01-Apr-17 Covehithe Suffolk
12-Aug-17 Benacre Broad Suffolk
04-Oct-17 Easton Bavents Suffolk
20-Oct-17 Bridgefoot Marshes, Southwold Suffolk
18-Mar-18 Covehithe Suffolk
17-Sep-18 Bridgefoot Marshes, Southwold Suffolk
20-Sep-18 Southwold Boating Lake, Southwold Suffolk
06-Sep-19 Bridgefoot Marshes, Southwold Suffolk
09-Jan-20 Covehithe Broad Suffolk
10-Jan-20 Covehithe Suffolk
24-Feb-20 Covehithe Suffolk
06-Jul-20 Covehithe Suffolk
19-Jul-20 Covehithe Suffolk
20-Dec-20 Covehithe Suffolk

No sightings from the garden lately apart from the resident male Blackbird (detailed above). I did go for my first walk for a while to the local park and waterfront yesterday and found this colour-ringed Herring Gull - orange ring with black code UA6Z. Checking CR-Birding it seems to be one from the North Thames Gull Group so I've emailed them details.

Attachments

• Herring Gulls.jpg
    Herring Gulls.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
No sightings from the garden lately apart from the resident male Blackbird (detailed above). I did go for my first walk for a while to the local park and waterfront yesterday and found this colour-ringed Herring Gull - orange ring with black code UA6Z. Checking CR-Birding it seems to be one from the North Thames Gull Group so I've emailed them details.

Really quick reply from Paul Roper of North Thames Gull Group. One that doesn't seem to be encountered much - ringed at Pitsea landfill in March 2017, seen at Bexley Tip, Kent in June 2018 then nothing until the last three weeks at Ipswich docks.

Attachments

• UA6Z data.JPG
    UA6Z data.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 1
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back