• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some "unseen" descriptions … now seen! (1 Viewer)

Björn,
Again, many thanks. I have the journal Zoological Bibliography containing Mlíkovský's 2012 paper on Wolters, but Rauenia must have escaped my attention (old age creeping on!). Thraupis bonariensis has been inserted in the Key, and another gap has been filled.
James

I wonder if it's a valid name.
In recent multi-gene analyses, Thraupis bonariensis was recovered with high support as the sister species of Pipraeidea melanonota. The type of Pipraeidea Swainson 1827 [OD] is, by original designation, Pipraeidea cyanea Swainson 1827, introduced at the same time as the genus. Pipraeidea cyanea Swainson 1827, in turn, is a synonym of Tangara melanonota Vieillot 1819 [OD], now Pipraeidea melanonota (Vieillot).

Thus to make Rauenia Wolters 1980 valid, you'd need to make it, as well as Pipraeidea, monotypic.

In recent multi-gene analyses, Thraupis bonariensis was recovered with high support as the sister species of Pipraeidea melanonota. The type of Pipraeidea Swainson 1827 [OD] is, by original designation, Pipraeidea cyanea Swainson 1827, introduced at the same time as the genus. Pipraeidea cyanea Swainson 1827, in turn, is a synonym of Tangara melanonota Vieillot 1819 [OD], now Pipraeidea melanonota (Vieillot).

Thus to make Rauenia Wolters 1980 valid, you'd need to make it, as well as Pipraeidea, monotypic.

As long as these two species are their own genus, Pipraeidea and Rauenia respectively, I don't see any problems, normally. It depends on the status of Rauenia (N. Dub., N. Nud.).

As long as these two species are their own genus, Pipraeidea and Rauenia respectively, I don't see any problems, normally. It depends on the status of Rauenia (N. Dub., N. Nud.).
A valid name is the available name that is the correct name of a taxon in an author's taxonomic judgement.
Mlíkovský (link in Björn's post above) writes that the 14 new genera and subgenera in Wolters 1975-82 were introduced "in accordance with the Code", thus I *presume* that these names are available.
Under the present rules, the application of a generic name depends exclusively of its type species (Art. 42.3), thus a generic name can be a nomen dubium only if its type species is itself a nomen dubium.

A valid name is the available name that is the correct name of a taxon in an author's taxonomic judgement.
Mlíkovský (link in Björn's post above) writes that the 14 new genera and subgenera in Wolters 1975-82 were introduced "in accordance with the Code", thus I *presume* that these names are available.
Under the present rules, the application of a generic name depends exclusively of its type species (Art. 42.3), thus a generic name can be a nomen dubium only if its type species is itself a nomen dubium.

Vauriella is also listed in these paper and used by Boyd, so I'm assuming that Rauenia is available too, after all .

I can say "Thanks Mlíkovský" and welcome Rauenia in my check-list.

Last edited:

No. 33: "Elvira" (p.176), "Elviræ" (p.232),

I have at least a guess about Elvira. Mulsant wrote about Gaetano Osculati and Ecuador in context with Elvira here. And this guy wrote here:

Dal lato opposto del fiume trovansi molti casolari, fra i quali la cosi detta Elvira o casa del'ex Presidente Flores, dove era avvenuto un sanguinoso fratto d'armi fra i suoi parttigiani, e i cosi detti Librberadores , colla peggio de'primi.

And this would be:

Elvira, holiday home of General Juan Jose Flores, former president of Ecuador, illustration from L'Illustration, Journal Universel, No 418, Volume XVII, February 28-March 7, 1851.

But of course speculation as no clear explanaition.

This place, Martin? Either way, hard to tell, I guess it would be intersting to find out why (after whom?) this holiday home was called (La) Elvira. Possibly a lady involved? As in the Hummingbird name itself?

However; I´m of no use when it comes to French and Italian ... sorry.

Good luck finding the truth!
--

Last edited:
Sure this is the place. Anyway Bourcier (and Adolphe Delattre) may have as well a connection to General Flores if we look at the dedication of the bat Arctibius Floresii.

As well we can find in here

Los más destacados resultaron Ramón, Rafael y Brígida Salas; José Ildefonso Páez y Luis Cadena. La presencia de Ernesto Charton en Quito propició la fundación de la "Escuela Democrática Miguel de Santiago". El artista francés, guiado por el cónsul señor Bourcier, visitó el taller de Salas y trazó una descripción literaria y artística del ambiente que se respiraba en el obrador del patriarca de la pintura quiteña. Salas asistió al viraje de la fortuna política de su antiguo Mecenas, el General Juan José Flores. Cuando en marzo de 1852, la Escuela Democrática organizó una Exposición de Arte, para celebrar el séptimo aniversario de la caída de Flores, Antonio Salas fue el presidente de la junta calificadora de las obras y tuvo el placer de otorgar los premios a algunos de sus alumnos. Luis Cadena, Juan Pablo Sánz, Agustín Guerrero, Ramón Vargas y Vicente Pazmiño formaban la generación de artistas, que reconocían a Salas como su venerado maestro. Antonio Salas falleció en 1860.

Possibly a lady involved?

The oldes daughter here:

Elvira Flores, la hija mayor del General Juan José Flores, y del Coronel granadino D. Ensebio Isaza, nació en Pasto, por 1846

P.S. But I would go away from this thesis as when the names have been introduced there is no connection to Ecuador.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why Mulsant published Catalogue des Oiseaux-Mouches ou Colibris? Was that just for preparation of Histoire naturelle des oiseaux-mouches, ou, Colibris constituant la famille des trochilidés? Or did he sell his collection? If he sold to whom?

I ask as there is as well Elvira mentioned on p. 139 but Zephyritis (Calypte) elvirae (expected on p. 161) disappeared.

Does anyone know why Mulsant published Catalogue des Oiseaux-Mouches ou Colibris? Was that just for preparation of Histoire naturelle des oiseaux-mouches, ou, Colibris constituant la famille des trochilidés? Or did he sell his collection? If he sold to whom?
Looking at this publication I think Mulsant is using Catalogue like a check-list not like a sale catalog. There is no information like he had two males one female of a species which is often in a sales catalogue. Mulsant was a Lyon man and I would guess his skins went somewhere there.

Would be really interesting where specimen of Zephyritis (Calypte) elvirae went. If present in the maison Verreaux it may be sold to anywhere.

I am still not convinced about any of this theories in the key:

ELVIRA
(Trochilidae; Ϯ White-tailed Emerald E. chionura) Female eponym: perhaps after Elvire, “the name by which the poet Lamartine idealised Mme. Julie Charles ... with whom he was at one time deeply in love” (Harvey & Heseltine 1959) (cf. Elvira Flores (b. 1846) eldest daughter of General Juan José Flores President of Ecuador 1830-1835, 1839-1845 (Martin Schneider in litt.)); "Genre LEUCOCHLORIS ... aa. Rectrices externes à intermédiaires blanches sur la moyenne partie basilaire de leur longueur (S.-g. Elvira). Chianura [sic], GOULD. Costa-Rica. [Gould] Thaumantias" (Mulsant et al. 1866).
Synon. Lawrencius.

If poet Elvire, “the name by which the poet Lamartine... may correct why not also Elvire, la marquise de Villa Bianca mentioned here or Donna Elvira, a lady of Burgos abandoned by Don Giovanni in a opera from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart? See here here.

Regarding Elvira Flores I mentioned earlier I do not see anymore a real realtionship to Ecuador. Neither E. chionura nor Zephyritis (Calypte) elvirae = Mellisuga helenae are in Ecuador present. Only Jules Bourcier mentioned in the foreword may give a link to Ecuador.

So everything a little bit to vague in my opinion.

Last edited:
But after re-checking Mulsants obituary here...

Qui pourra jamais nous dire d'où lui venaient ces goûts si prononcés pour la poésie comme pour la science? S'il fut sur les bancs du collège de Belly l'èmule du grand Lamartine, ce fut à un âge où la poésie se contente de germer dans le coeur de l'enfant avant d'éclore sous la plume du jeune homme.

...Harvey & Heseltine 1959 may correct. Some more on the letters to find here.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Akalat genus Sheppardia Haagner, 1909
Violetbreasted Sunbird Cinnyris sheppardi F.J.Jackson, 1910 NCR [JS Cinnyris chalcomelas]
Woodward's Batis ssp. Batis fratrum sheppardi Haagner, 1909 NCR; NRM
Böhm's Spinetail ssp. Neafrapus boehmi sheppardi Roberts, 1922
Peter A. Sheppard (1875–1958) was a British farmer, collector and oologist who lived in Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) and Mozambique (1898–1916).

The Key to Scientific Names
(syn. Sheppardia Ϯ Short-tailed Akalat S. poensis) Gr. προ pro near; genus Sheppardia Haagner, 1909, akalat; "Da für ein solches noch kein Name vorhanden ist, sei es Prosheppardia gen. nov. genannt. Typische Art ist Callene poensis Alexander, 1903, Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club 13: 9; syn. Cossypha insulana Grote, 1935, Ornithologische Monatsberichte 43: 95. Prosheppardia ist am ähnlichsten Sheppardia Haagner" (Wolters 1983) (Björn Bergenholtz in litt.).

Peter A. Sheppard (1875-1958) British farmer, oologist, collector, settler in Rhodesia and Mozambique (syn. Batis fratrum, syn. Cinnyris chalcomelas, subsp. Neafrapus boehmi).

• Cinnyris sheppardi F.J.Jackson, 1910 OD here
  • Neafrapus boehmi sheppardi Roberts, 1922 OD here
  • Batis fratrum sheppardi Haagner, 1909 OD here
The middle name A. of this gentlemen is unknown to me.

But, ... note that Jackson's OD of "Cinnyris sheppardi" (from 1910) cleary states (my bold blue):

Obs. This species has been named in honour of Mr. R. W. Sheppard, who has recently been engaged in preparing a catalogue of Mr. Jackson's collection of bird-skins.

Hrm ... :unsure:

The other ones I haven't checked, nor do I have time to do it right now.

Good luck finding the truth.

/B

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back