• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Somerset and Wiltshire holiday (1 Viewer)

Connor Rand

Norwich resident, Holme devotee
Just come back from a holiday in Somerset and had the following. I think the id's are correct...

1. and 2. Frog Orchid 3. Lizard Orchid 4. Violet Helleborine and 5. Broad-leaved Helleborine.

cheers,

Connor

Attachments

• Frog1.jpg
    Frog1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 76
  • Frog4.jpg
    Frog4.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Lizorchid2.jpg
    Lizorchid2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 92
  • VioletHelle1.jpg
    VioletHelle1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Broad Leaved Helleborine2.jpg
    Broad Leaved Helleborine2.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 68
Hi Connor,

I hope you had a good holiday and didn't let the weather mar things too much.

I agree with photos 1 & 3, but unsure about the others from my book.

Not absolutely certain that 2 is the same as 1 as the flower heads look too close together, to my mind, maybe that's just the way I'm viewing it.

Good luck with finding definates for the others.

Sue. PS. I've just checked Broad-leaved Helleborine elsewhere and agree with you. Sue.

Last edited:
Connor

picture 2 shows a Frog orchid, it's just a fresher plant than in picture 1, and picture 5 shows a Broad-leaved helleborine, the picture nicely showing the broad lower leaves.

Rich M

Hi Connor

The fourth one also looks like Broad-leaved helleborine to me. It has a green stem. Do you have a picture of the lower leaves?

The others you have sorted. Was your Lizard near a Lane with a bird's name?

Cheers

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back