• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Somerset, UK Duck (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
Went for a Common Scoter at Blagdon Lake yesterday. We didn't think we'd had it at the time, but now I'm thinking that these 2 (terrible) photos might say otherwise? Doesn't look right for either coot or female Tufted Duck for me, and I'm not sure what else it could be besides the drake Scoter known to be on site?

Attachments

• P1450506 (2).JPG
    P1450506 (2).JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 173
  • P1450505 (2).JPG
    P1450505 (2).JPG
    685.5 KB · Views: 172
Hello,
yes I agree with you its a male Common Scoter. Black and round body in the right proportions and the right yellow colour to the bill-knob. I think the bills jizz is only shifted by picture quality.

Edit: please note, that Coot has a dark coal grey, nearly black body and a real black head/neck. This is sometimes evident, and I think this could be visible/judgeable here.

Hello,
yes I agree with Steve, Butty and rylirk (to date), but imagine: you scan a lake (or similar) and you get this image. The word "Common Scoter would come into my mind by the mentioned points and I would give the bird a closer look.
Yes, I agree with you, that this isnt the answer that rylirk needs here0confident ID of a presumed rare bird, but I would still opt for a Common Scooter in quiz modus. Doesnt meant as an offense as always.

Knowing Blagdon lake intimately and the distance you are looking at, it matches the Scoter I also saw yesterday afternoon. The yellow bill was very distinctive (I have seen many Soccer's off the Moray coast). Coots were present yesterday, but all were relatively close in or around in the area by Green lawn to the East.

So vague that I can very easily ascribe it to being photo-artefact. The photos are too poor (no offence, etc, etc).
Disagree. Clearly yellow for me. That's only enough to rule out coot, but WildPhotographer has confirmed what it is.

Normally I would not support an ID based on a picture of poor quality (no offence etc), but having been at the site, my local patch, at a very similar time, seen where the bird was and also knowing where the coots and tufties were sheltering from the the significant breeze and waves, I would say this is the Scoter I also saw, especially with such a yellow bill.

Is it photographic artefact that the bill appears quite prominently yellow? Have observers ruled out the ‘remote chance’ that it could be Black Scoter?

Another for Drake Common Scoter…the amount of white/yellow to the bill is compatible with the aforesaid and the shape of the c45 degree back sloping into the water, is not untypical of CS, certainly not Tufty or Coot.

Cheers

;-)

If it was a lifer, and/or if at a location where there wasn't known to be a Common Scoter, and might be various other seaducks/ducks/waterbirds etc I'm hoping people wouldn't be quite so confident ...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back