• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Song ID, Yunnan, China (1 Viewer)

Barbets48

Elevation: about 1500m
Habitat: secondary (?) hill forest

Notes: this song was heard multiple times. In the recording the high pitched note is repeated 12 times. Other times it was as few as four.

I really have no idea what it is and tried listening to a lot of birds on ebird to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated!

Mike

Attachments

• Unknown high pitched copy.mp3
    135.4 KB
Elevation: about 1500m
Habitat: secondary (?) hill forest

Notes: this song was heard multiple times. In the recording the high pitched note is repeated 12 times. Other times it was as few as four.

I really have no idea what it is and tried listening to a lot of birds on ebird to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated!

Mike
Maybe nobody knows this one? If I was in North America I would be thinking Blackpoll warbler. I suppose it’s possible it is an insect and not bird though that wasn’t my first thought.

It sounds rather like a flowerpecker to me. Some species give a variety of high-pitched vocalisations like this. I'm not sure which species would be in the area that may be comparable.

Speckled Piculet also gives a similar call but I don't think the tone is quite right and the tit-like notes at the beginning of the recording wouldn't fit.

It sounds rather like a flowerpecker to me. Some species give a variety of high-pitched vocalisations like this. I'm not sure which species would be in the area that may be comparable.

Speckled Piculet also gives a similar call but I don't think the tone is quite right and the tit-like notes at the beginning of the recording wouldn't fit.
John, thanks so much for the input. I listened to a bunch of the flowerpeckers, and then checked out Speckled Piculet. I actually think the Speckled Piculet is the right one. I listened to a bunch of the calls on eBird, and several recordings were a good match, including the recording on this checklist. High thin call repeated on basically the same pitch, with same spacing as my recording.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S55992604
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back