• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Songs that mention species of bird (1 Viewer)

Jonno52

John
Supporter
United Kingdom
You will be aware of the fairly grisly

Alouette, gentille Alouette, je te' plumerais ...

(French, but a well-known English children's song)
At primary school we had to sing that, around 1957. Having inquisitive minds, we asked the teacher what the words meant. Her reply: "It's just nonsense". It was mildly shocking to eventually discover the translation.

Andy Adcock

Deplatformed dissident
England
I don't think I know any birds in songs, but there are groups called The Housemartins and The Guillemots of course ... hopefully not too generic.

There must be a few Cuckoos, Swallows and the like?

Became the Beautiful South and gave us 'Blackbird on the wire'.

'Starlings', Elbow.

Last edited:

Andy Adcock

Deplatformed dissident
England
No way, did not know that.

They migrated then? ;)

I should say that it's the same frontman rather than the same band and an odd name for a band from Hull I always thought, or at least Paul Heaton, the main vocalist is.

Last edited:

dantheman

Bah humbug
I should say that it's the same frontman rather than the same band and an odd name for a band from Hull I always thought, or at least Paul Heaton, the main vocalist is.

Bizarrely, I think, a main headline in BBC news this week - a generous man making a donation to the staff at Q magazine for supporting him over the years and as they had to close down over coronavirus -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54485919

(And the best bit is because as we know who it is, it can't be QAnon (just to knock any possible conspiracy theories on the head ;) ))

Users who are viewing this thread