• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Sonoma county California, ruby crowned kinglet (1 Viewer)

Crazy_Larry

United States
Hello bird enthusiasts! I took this photo last week and I have been going back and forth on who this little guy is. I am new to taking photos of birds so these aren't good photos. I believe it is a Ruby Crowned Kinglet or maybe a Dusky Flycatcher. I am in Sonoma, northern California. Taken mid December. He is about the same size as a chestnut chickadee. Thank you for any information passed! 20201228_201816.jpg 20201228_201136.jpg

rkj

I agree the bird perched in the conifer is a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, but I think the bird at the bird bath is a Hutton's Vireo. Do you have any more photos of the one at the bird bath?

Last edited:

Microtus

Maryland USA (he/him)
Supporter
United States
I agree the bird perched in the conifer is a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, but I think the bird at the bird bath is a Hutton's Vireo. Do you have any more photos of the one at the bird bath?
I agree. The bird-bath bird has solid gray legs and feet, so it is a Hutton's Vireo. Kinglets have yellow feet and dark legs.

Crazy_Larry

United States
I don't have any other photos of these birds. I really thought they were the same bird! Lack of attention to detail. Thank you all for the input!

Users who are viewing this thread