• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony 400mm F2.8 GM (1 Viewer)

I am an occasional bird photographer and more often found behind the goals or posts watching sport. Just got a new to me 400mm GM and will be trying more bird photography with the teleconverters bolted on. I'm looking to buy an A1 at some point and was wondering if anyone has any experience of the Autofocus on the A1 compared to A9. The extra pixels will be very useful shooting wildlife but is the AF a noticeable improvement and is the Bird Eye-AF as good as you would expect for the outlay

Currently have the Sony 400mm 2.8 with the Sony 2x converter permanently affixed to my Sony A1 for bird photography. I have found the AF to be awesome and the bird eye detect to be excellent (not perfect) for perched birds. For BIF, I find that hand held the AF is excellent, eye detect is more difficult the further the bird is and how erradic the flight path. Note that initial lock on to BIF is slowed down by 2x converter, but once acquired it stays on.

Currently have the Sony 400mm 2.8 with the Sony 2x converter permanently affixed to my Sony A1 for bird photography. I have found the AF to be awesome and the bird eye detect to be excellent (not perfect) for perched birds. For BIF, I find that hand held the AF is excellent, eye detect is more difficult the further the bird is and how erradic the flight path. Note that initial lock on to BIF is slowed down by 2x converter, but once acquired it stays on.
I tried it with the 2x for perched birds yesterday. Very pleasantly surprised with the sharpness even through the 2xs and despite very gloomy conditions it locked focus very quickly. Are you just shooting in wide Af with bird eye Af and letting the camera do its thing or are you using other modes. I'm hoping to get an A1 in a few months so glad to hear that combo is working well for you

Sorry to jump off topic a little, but can I please ask? When using the Sony A1, can you set and choose the number of frames per second
when using the electronic shutter, or is it all or nothing. ( 30fps )

I think on the Canon R5 you only have the choice of 1 frame or 20 frames with nothing between.
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back