• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony A9II rumors (1 Viewer)

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-first-leaked-image-of-the-new-sony-a9ii-flaship-camera/
Apparently it is likely to be 36MP, and you will also be able to get your hands on it in New York on Oct 24-26 .....

I think the top LCD display on the higher end Nikon DSLR's is the most natural thing in the world. Can any Sony users out there tell me how you get along without it?

Chosun :gh:

yeah, I am so used to walking along and making setting adjustments looking at the top display, like when I am switching between BIF and perched. yep, I could twist the camera 90* and look at the LCD....

marc

Sony a9II Announced

Wow - that is spectacularly ..... underwhelming ..... :eek!:
https://m.dpreview.com/news/1462538...tm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source

Virtually the a9 in the a7RIV body .... with little else.
No increase in resolution or frame rate (some mechanical shutter improvement) - so the rumours were wildly optimistic !
No increase in EVF resolution .... bit crook in a flagship model?
Minor AF, Processing and Communications changes.
This is really stretching it to call it a new model ..... Sony seems to be plateauing just like CaNikon ..... I don't think this is the knockout blow to any 1DX III / D6 ......

Likely currently among the best PRO bodies available, but I think below the expectations that Sony's history of progression has fuelled ..... and leaving a lot of wriggle room for the 2020 1DX III and D6 :cat:

Chosun :gh:

it seems the main improvements are (1) rolling shutter lessened by the parallel readout sensor, (2) professional workflow improvements. I agree, the hype was way ahead of the apparent delivery, and Sony was head cheerleader for revolutionary features. I don't see what those are, but maybe a little time will show something?

I think any non-pro looking for an A9 would go for the A9I. They are a great price compared to the A9II and have almost all the features.

It will be interesting to see how much of an improvement the rolling shutter is or if there are significant AF updates that don't make their way to the other A9/A7 bodies.

Marc

So, incremental improvement (lol) It's good to see that the new improved A92 is now only four frames per second behind the three year old 1DX2.
They just added what it should have had to start with.

So, incremental improvement (lol) It's good to see that the new improved A92 is now only four frames per second behind the three year old 1DX2.
They just added what it should have had to start with.

Allegedly this A9 II is a stopgap fix to have a camera adequate for pro photographers covering the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, as the real successor is still in the development phase. Imho, the truth is that cameras are not earning enough money to sustain aggressive ongoing innovation investment. So the improvements can only be incremental.
Whether this is a sound strategy for managing the cell phone camera challenge remains tbd.

Allegedly this A9 II is a stopgap fix to have a camera adequate for pro photographers covering the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, as the real successor is still in the development phase. Imho, the truth is that cameras are not earning enough money to sustain aggressive ongoing innovation investment. So the improvements can only be incremental.
Whether this is a sound strategy for managing the cell phone camera challenge remains tbd.

I thought Sony was making cell phones with higher end cameras so were riding both horses in this race?

Niels

I thought Sony was making cell phones with higher end cameras so were riding both horses in this race?

Niels

Sony dominates the camera sensor market for phones as well as for stand alone cameras, with a market share of 50% or more. They have however had less success producing and selling the integrated product, especially the phones.
In contrast, Google especially but also Apple have broken new ground in photography, processing the raw data from the Sony sensors.
Interestingly, an activist investor has called on Sony to spin out their sensor business, on grounds that it is undervalued while confined within the Sony corporate matrix.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back