• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony DSC-W200 (1 Viewer)

Mark, I too am now getting some good shots out of the W200 after trial and error. There were two BIG mistakes in my initial use of the camera for digiscoping: 1) Do NOT use a fixed focus setting at any of the distances it offers; use either center spot or objects in center. Center spot is the most accurate.. you can put it on a bird's head, depress shutter rel. half way, then move the setup to recenter as desired before completing the shutter release depression. With object in center.. the camera will "find" the bird and you then make sure the head has a set of "new" brackets appear over it.. again using the half-way depressed button to lock the focus. 2) do NOT use the Steady-Shot IS feature. The image continues to "float" in your view window (yes you actually see it as though on the deck of a bobbing ship).. it may eliminate severe blur but in place adds slight blur to an otherwise perfect shot. That must be why the IS (SS) will not operate at slow shutter speeds.. Sony KNOWS it would blur your shot! These are just my impressions, and are not scientifically proven beyond doubt to my satisfaction. All I know is I'm getting better shots and these are the only two changes made.

Fourcreeks,
Good point about IS. Most tests show it doesn't work on the high magnifications of digiscoping and doesn't work well on a tripod. So best to swithch it off. Neil.

Neil, I have not changed anything on the photo except resized, does the image look poor to you? These figures don't mean anything to me as I am new to all this.
As to the steady shot feature I liked the idea of the extra help but I'm sure you are correct I will switch it off and hope for a better hit rate.
Regards, Mark.

Neil, I have not changed anything on the photo except resized, does the image look poor to you? These figures don't mean anything to me as I am new to all this.
As to the steady shot feature I liked the idea of the extra help but I'm sure you are correct I will switch it off and hope for a better hit rate.
Regards, Mark.

Mark,
Looks good for straight out of the camera. Well done. You've seem to have cracked the technique for getting the best out of this camera. Neil.

These were from the same shoot

Attachments

• DSC02839.JPG
    DSC02839.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC02878(1).JPG
    DSC02878(1).JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC03082.JPG
    DSC03082.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 142
I'm beginning to get decent results also.. cracking the Sony code if you will. The camera, I believe has some sophisticated focusing firmware and I'm using the central spot focus mode, placing it on part of the bird's head, depressing shutter halfway, holding that and recentering if necessary.. seems to be working. I've noticed that if shooting steeply upward you focus at the body level, the head may be enough out of dof to not be as sharp as it should, and of course always focusing the scope on the head which I do first by eye on scope. BTW, I should add this has all my post-shot processing to it. But note too that it's saved at quality 5 of 12, not nearly in best form possible.

Attachments

• Spotted Towhee 7-3-07 DSC01703web.jpg
    Spotted Towhee 7-3-07 DSC01703web.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Day at the Beach with the W200

Well took it for a nice workout under tough Lcd focusing conditions but was very happy with the results. About 60% were keepers. Here`s a few examples.:t:

Attachments

• 6-30-07 black-crowned night heron6.jpg
    6-30-07 black-crowned night heron6.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 6-30-07 yellow-crowned night heron4.jpg
    6-30-07 yellow-crowned night heron4.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 6-30-07 piping plover4.jpg
    6-30-07 piping plover4.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 6-30-07 black-crowned night heron14.jpg
    6-30-07 black-crowned night heron14.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 116
It would appear, like most cameras , that the results from shorter zooming are better, and faster shutter speeds are better . With 12 megs to start with you have plenty of room for cropping which will be good for capturing action eg. egrets striking for food or two large birds interacting.
I'm looking forward to seeing more . Neil.

Here's a recent photo, one of the best I've managed with this camera and my gear. Cable shutter release, not self-timer. Burst mode.. it took over ten frames in burst to get this moment (fast Sandisk Extreme III card). Processing: no enhancement, noise reduction, levels, sharpening, etc. Changes limited to: 50% original pixel size, and saved in quality 9 of 12 maximum. I have posted a fully processed version in my BF Gallery today. I notice you have to click the "plus" mark on the photo to resize it full size, else you get interpolation distortion on the bill, etc.

Attachments

• Anna's test shot 7-16-07 DSC01763.jpg
    Anna's test shot 7-16-07 DSC01763.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 168
Just been reading through and I have learnt a lot for my Sony from
you guys I am using a Sony 10.1 DSC N2 and some of my first shots
were bad but getting better now I hope I can put into action some of
the recommendations talked about here.....

Here is pic taken with Sony DSC N2 through a Nikon 82mm Scope RAIII WP 30 magnitude eyepiece maybe a bit of zoom cannot remember but at about 25m the pic was also resized & cropped smaller I gave it one sharpen in Photoshop BTW do you ever do sharpen all edges ?

Hope to make big improvements with new settings BTW the pic was taken
with everything on Auto

Attachments

• DSC00391.JPG
    DSC00391.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 125
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back