• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Sony RX10 1V the new boy. (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
When I have looked at images straight out of a camera, the canon images strike me as having a high contrast, higher than I personally prefer. However, given that you like that look, you will likely have to either fiddle with the settings in camera or use a preset on your post processing software to get what you like. To test if that explains what is going on, download some sony images and play with them -- and delete them afterwards so that you don't accidentally label them as your own on a later date.

Niels

nikonmike

It was back in 2017 this camera caught my eye so i started this thread, i have finally had to admit my struggle with normal gear, even m4/3 so have taken the plunge and changed.
Get it tomorrow but with the weather and lockdown it may be a while before i get to use it.

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
It was back in 2017 this camera caught my eye so i started this thread, i have finally had to admit my struggle with normal gear, even m4/3 so have taken the plunge and changed.
Get it tomorrow but with the weather and lockdown it may be a while before i get to use it.
Wov, you have moved around a lot, haven't you! I am still comfortable with my Pana gear, so hopefully will not have to follow you for a few years yet.

Niels

Andy1979

This has been a most informative thread, to the point that I have just purchased a Sony RX10 iv. 7-14 days wait due to Covid. I had spent the last two months deliberating about which DSLR to buy and then which lens and had pretty much settled on the Nikon D500 with the Tamron 150-600mm G2 and I had read a lot and watched a lot of Youtube vids. Then I saw a friend was using the RX10 iv and his images looked pretty good. So I checked it out on here and became convinved. I am sure it won't be as good as the combo I was going to buy but then I am spending £1300 less! I am moving up from a Canon SX50 and really like birding with Bins and 'Scope so adding on a large lens DSLR wouldn't have helped my back/shoulders either. And the step up from the SX50 to the RX10 iv seems to be signigicant and not far short of the DSLR stuff (7d/d500 etc). As others have said, I am a birder who wants some decent shots, not a photographer so am hoping this will suit my needs. I can then use the spare £1300 to go on holiday somehwhere nice where I can use my new camera (once all the restrictions are eventually lifted).

I expect the mk v will come out later this year, but also that it will be costed closer to the DSLR combo so am content with what I have done - will update once the camera has arrived!

Cheers - and especially to @Steve Babbs for his journey into the RX10 iv.

Andy M

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
This has been a most informative thread, to the point that I have just purchased a Sony RX10 iv. 7-14 days wait due to Covid. I had spent the last two months deliberating about which DSLR to buy and then which lens and had pretty much settled on the Nikon D500 with the Tamron 150-600mm G2 and I had read a lot and watched a lot of Youtube vids. Then I saw a friend was using the RX10 iv and his images looked pretty good. So I checked it out on here and became convinved. I am sure it won't be as good as the combo I was going to buy but then I am spending £1300 less! I am moving up from a Canon SX50 and really like birding with Bins and 'Scope so adding on a large lens DSLR wouldn't have helped my back/shoulders either. And the step up from the SX50 to the RX10 iv seems to be signigicant and not far short of the DSLR stuff (7d/d500 etc). As others have said, I am a birder who wants some decent shots, not a photographer so am hoping this will suit my needs. I can then use the spare £1300 to go on holiday somehwhere nice where I can use my new camera (once all the restrictions are eventually lifted).

I expect the mk v will come out later this year, but also that it will be costed closer to the DSLR combo so am content with what I have done - will update once the camera has arrived!

Cheers - and especially to @Steve Babbs for his journey into the RX10 iv.

Andy M
Good for you. Like they say, the best equipment is the one you have with you when you need it. I hope this will work out for you.

Niels

Steve Babbs

I am moving up from a Canon SX50 and really like birding with Bins and 'Scope so adding on a large lens DSLR wouldn't have helped my back/shoulders either. And the step up from the SX50 to the RX10 iv seems to be signigicant and not far short of the DSLR stuff (7d/d500 etc).

Andy M
You will find the Sony a huge jump from the SX50: a totally different world. I had a SX50 for a while and just never got on with it. Its not really the image quality - if the light is good - it was just so slow to do everything such as focus, take shots when you are used to a SLR. The Sony handles just like a SLR except much lighter.

MalR

You will find the Sony a huge jump from the SX50: a totally different world. I had a SX50 for a while and just never got on with it. Its not really the image quality - if the light is good - it was just so slow to do everything such as focus, take shots when you are used to a SLR. The Sony handles just like a SLR except much lighter.
I would echo Steve's comments, but I would also add that for me one of the worst things about the SX50 was the viewfinder. The Sony is night and day better.

I've had the RX10 IV since last July. At first, I thought I wasn't going to keep it, but the more I've used it, the more I've come to like it. I think you've made a great choice.

Malcolm

Users who are viewing this thread