• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony RX10 1V the new boy. (2 Viewers)

When I have looked at images straight out of a camera, the canon images strike me as having a high contrast, higher than I personally prefer. However, given that you like that look, you will likely have to either fiddle with the settings in camera or use a preset on your post processing software to get what you like. To test if that explains what is going on, download some sony images and play with them -- and delete them afterwards so that you don't accidentally label them as your own on a later date.

Niels

It was back in 2017 this camera caught my eye so i started this thread, i have finally had to admit my struggle with normal gear, even m4/3 so have taken the plunge and changed.
Get it tomorrow but with the weather and lockdown it may be a while before i get to use it.

It was back in 2017 this camera caught my eye so i started this thread, i have finally had to admit my struggle with normal gear, even m4/3 so have taken the plunge and changed.
Get it tomorrow but with the weather and lockdown it may be a while before i get to use it.
Wov, you have moved around a lot, haven't you! I am still comfortable with my Pana gear, so hopefully will not have to follow you for a few years yet.

Niels

This has been a most informative thread, to the point that I have just purchased a Sony RX10 iv. 7-14 days wait due to Covid. I had spent the last two months deliberating about which DSLR to buy and then which lens and had pretty much settled on the Nikon D500 with the Tamron 150-600mm G2 and I had read a lot and watched a lot of Youtube vids. Then I saw a friend was using the RX10 iv and his images looked pretty good. So I checked it out on here and became convinved. I am sure it won't be as good as the combo I was going to buy but then I am spending £1300 less! I am moving up from a Canon SX50 and really like birding with Bins and 'Scope so adding on a large lens DSLR wouldn't have helped my back/shoulders either. And the step up from the SX50 to the RX10 iv seems to be signigicant and not far short of the DSLR stuff (7d/d500 etc). As others have said, I am a birder who wants some decent shots, not a photographer so am hoping this will suit my needs. I can then use the spare £1300 to go on holiday somehwhere nice where I can use my new camera (once all the restrictions are eventually lifted).

I expect the mk v will come out later this year, but also that it will be costed closer to the DSLR combo so am content with what I have done - will update once the camera has arrived!

Cheers - and especially to @Steve Babbs for his journey into the RX10 iv.

Andy M

This has been a most informative thread, to the point that I have just purchased a Sony RX10 iv. 7-14 days wait due to Covid. I had spent the last two months deliberating about which DSLR to buy and then which lens and had pretty much settled on the Nikon D500 with the Tamron 150-600mm G2 and I had read a lot and watched a lot of Youtube vids. Then I saw a friend was using the RX10 iv and his images looked pretty good. So I checked it out on here and became convinved. I am sure it won't be as good as the combo I was going to buy but then I am spending £1300 less! I am moving up from a Canon SX50 and really like birding with Bins and 'Scope so adding on a large lens DSLR wouldn't have helped my back/shoulders either. And the step up from the SX50 to the RX10 iv seems to be signigicant and not far short of the DSLR stuff (7d/d500 etc). As others have said, I am a birder who wants some decent shots, not a photographer so am hoping this will suit my needs. I can then use the spare £1300 to go on holiday somehwhere nice where I can use my new camera (once all the restrictions are eventually lifted).

I expect the mk v will come out later this year, but also that it will be costed closer to the DSLR combo so am content with what I have done - will update once the camera has arrived!

Cheers - and especially to @Steve Babbs for his journey into the RX10 iv.

Andy M
Good for you. Like they say, the best equipment is the one you have with you when you need it. I hope this will work out for you.

Niels

I am moving up from a Canon SX50 and really like birding with Bins and 'Scope so adding on a large lens DSLR wouldn't have helped my back/shoulders either. And the step up from the SX50 to the RX10 iv seems to be signigicant and not far short of the DSLR stuff (7d/d500 etc).

Andy M
You will find the Sony a huge jump from the SX50: a totally different world. I had a SX50 for a while and just never got on with it. Its not really the image quality - if the light is good - it was just so slow to do everything such as focus, take shots when you are used to a SLR. The Sony handles just like a SLR except much lighter.

You will find the Sony a huge jump from the SX50: a totally different world. I had a SX50 for a while and just never got on with it. Its not really the image quality - if the light is good - it was just so slow to do everything such as focus, take shots when you are used to a SLR. The Sony handles just like a SLR except much lighter.
I would echo Steve's comments, but I would also add that for me one of the worst things about the SX50 was the viewfinder. The Sony is night and day better.

I've had the RX10 IV since last July. At first, I thought I wasn't going to keep it, but the more I've used it, the more I've come to like it. I think you've made a great choice.

Malcolm

I have got my setting sorted (I think) for BIF and static birds as per a link to these two set ups earlier in this threat. MR1 = BIF and MR2 = Static. I use the Fn button to switch between the two (takes about 5 seconds in total). However, I keep forgetting to change the AF button from C to S and vice versa. Is there a way to program this change to go with the MR1/MR2 options? And if not, I fear I will wear that switch out by having to use it so often...

Cheers,

Andy M

With my SLR I used to leave the focus constantly on servo (continuous) which worked fine even if the bird was static, but that doesn't work well with the Sony. I know that's not an answer but I am very interested if you do find a way.

If you remove focus from the shutter button and assign it to the AEL button (i.e. back button focus), you can easily toggle between continuous AF and single AF. Set the switch on the front to continuous and just leave it like that. For birds in flight, keep the AEL button pressed and you have continous focus. For a static bird, press it to acquire focus, then release. The focus is then locked and won't change until you press the AEL button again.

Malcolm

With my SLR I used to leave the focus constantly on servo (continuous) which worked fine even if the bird was static, but that doesn't work well with the Sony. I know that's not an answer but I am very interested if you do find a way.
Steve not got round to using mine yet but curious to know why servo focus is a problem on static subjects.

Steve not got round to using mine yet but curious to know why servo focus is a problem on static subjects.
I have no idea. It just focuses better on static objects when not on it. As I say servo was fine with my Canon. It may be to do with some other setting. Tbh I set it up on advice found on the internet and just left it. I probably should spend more time reading the guide. I do use back focus. It may be because I keep the focus button held down but that's also what I did with the Canon.

Right, having now got some time with this camera I have started exploring deeper menus using the excellent user guide by Alexander S. White (highly recommended). What I have done is set MR1 for BIF (Aperture Priority/Cont Shooting fast/Wide Focus area/ISO auto but with limits/ISO Min SS at 1/1000 and that is about it I think. Then MR2 for Static Birds (Aperture Priority/Cont Shooting Med/Flexible Spot small/ISO auto and that is about it there. I have also set MR3 to be a record shot function by having (Program Mode/Image Size Small/Single Shot/Centre Focus/ISO auto and then added from the 2nd Camera Setting Menu I have changed Zoom Setting (Menu 6/10) to Clear Image Zoom and with the Image size set to small this kicks in the Smart Zoom and basically takes the lens to 2400mm. If I had it on Digital Zoom it would go to 4800mm (but with more deterioration).

Anyway, I now walk around on MR2 (static birds) and so if I want to switch to MR1 (BIF) or MR3 (Distant Record Shots) then I can do so quickly from The Fn button and two clicks.

However, that still means I need to physically switch between AF-S and AF-C. But I have a half decent fix for this. Via the Camera Settings Menu 2 I have allocated the Focus Hold Button (the easiest to press and hold whilst using the camera) to become the Recall Custom Hold 1 button (this is via menu 9/10 - Custom Key Shoot). Then back in the Camera Settings 1 menu (4/10) I have set Recall Custom Hold 1 to basically be the same as my MR1 (BIF) settings.

Long story short, when I press the Focus Hold Button now it calls up my BIF settings and importantly, as I will usually be in AF-S for my Static bird mode (for me MR2) it will switch to AF-C...

The only problem is that you cannot zoom in and out whilst holding this button, but if you zoom in to the bird in another mode, then press the Focus Hold button you will switch to AF-C and all the other BIF settings you have programmed into Custom Hold 1.

Hope this makes sense (well it won't if you don't have an RX10 IV) but should be easy enough to follow if you have the camera to hand.

If I am planning on takings BIF shots then I will set up for MR1 (BIF), and if not then I will set up for static birds (MR2) with the ability to instantly move to BIF mode.

Cheers,

Andy M

Looking for some advice on this camera please. What is the best focus setting for birds in flight shots? And in centre focusing mode why does the focus square sometimes appear in a corner? Surely centre means centre, end of!
Thanks.

Looking for some advice on this camera please. What is the best focus setting for birds in flight shots? And in centre focusing mode why does the focus square sometimes appear in a corner? Surely centre means centre, end of!
Thanks.
I am not using Sony but I bet the second question is due to the screen being a touch-screen and your nose touched the screen.

Niels

I do use the RX10 IV and I would second Niels' opinion regarding the focus point moving. I disabled the option to touch focus, and only use it if the camera is on a tripod and I'm composing/focusing via the rear screen.

As for birds in flight, I haven't done a lot of that, but certainly against a clear background, I've found the Wide focus mode to work well.

Malcolm

Many thanks Niels and Malcolm. I think you're absolutely right about my nose! That never occurred to me.

I too am finding wide focus the next setting for flight shots, glad to get another opinion.

Many thanks Niels and Malcolm. I think you're absolutely right about my nose! That never occurred to me.

I too am finding wide focus the next setting for flight shots, glad to get another opinion.
There's some useful advice here on settings for birds in flight and perched:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4234562#forum-post-60501653

I have very recently purchased an RX10 iv and have had some success using these settings, saved in MR, although I'm still very much on a learning curve.
This is a link posted previously - Post #119 - which I've used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back