• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony (1 Viewer)

Hi,
I own a f828 and a teleconverter sony ×1.7
The smartzoom is a very interesting tool...

Before i was using fd7, f-707, v1 ;o)
in my gallery, the f828 is doing well for me!

lebororo

czar13 said:
I also have a DSC f717 and am interested in a telephoto lens as well as a wide angle and a macro. I have seem them made with exception to the macro lens by sony; however another company named raynox seems to make them as well. I am still an amateur and was wondering whether this is a reputable company or is there any brand for these lenses worth checking into?

Hi czar13
I have a Sony DSC F717 (business instrument) and a (personal use) F828. I use a Raynox 2.2x convertor on both - especially the F828 with good results. The Raynox has a large lens apperture so it lets in a good deal of light. A tripod is a must however. With good light I use shutter speed priority with say 1/1000 sec to minimise shake, even with a tripod. Results are most agreeable and a good compromise to digiscoping - you dont seem to get a digiscope to work with the big Sony cameras with Zeiss lenses.
Roddit

Advice On Telephoto Lens

Doug,
I'm new at to birding, as well as my f707, would I be advised against a
Tokina 3X AF high def. tele. lens for birding?????
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
All the best,
Dan (glazer7)

Doug Lloyd said:
Im a Sony Shooter. Currently have a 95, 97 and my primary is a 707. For you new users of the 707 or 717 and looking for some legs for the camera. The Olympus B 300 1.7x tele is an excellent choice but hard to find and very expensive. Normally $250. 00 US. I recently bought a friend the Oly TCON 17 1.7 x tele for his birthday. I stuck it on my camera for a few shots and I think it is actually is a bit sharper than the B 300 and at around $100.00 US plus shipping its a good deal. Does require a 58-54 step down ring as does the B 300.
Doug

Hi there everybody,

Thought I'd add my two-penneth. I'm using a DSC-W12 with a Kowa 663 and old style 30xW (TSE-14W) eyepiece. This camera/eyepiece combination works very well indeed. Vignetting? It's a thing of the past. Get none at all throughout the cameras zoom range. I did a quick trial in a shop with the new TSE-14WD model eyepiece and that seems to work well too.

All the W series Sonys (1/12/5/15/7) seem to work well for digiscoping.

Regards,

Duncan.

Hanno said:
I am using the Sony DSC-W7 with a Swarovski Scope, and very pleased with it.
Hanno
Excellent photos, I was wondering if you have ever had problems with noise?

I have heard several people complain about the W7: "that the Anti-noise processing trades away some subtle subject detail" and that "Image noise somewhat higher than average. Some noise was present in the Sony W7's images, even at ISO 100. It was fairly fine-grained, but the camera was also apparently trading away some of the more subtle subject detail to hold the noise in check." http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/W7/W7A.HTM
All of this may just be Sony bashing due to loyalty to another brand.

Well anyway I'm asking because I need a replacment for my CP4500 and I am pondering between the W5 and the W7.

Thanks
Ben

Hi Ben,

I think that is exaggerated, at least to my amateur eyes. I find the picture quality very good, the Zeiss lens sure delivers. Comparing the photos to phots takne with my 300D, I really see no difference. Also, the camera is very easy to use, and easy to adapt to a scope.

Cheers,

Hanno

Ben24502 said:
Hanno
Excellent photos, I was wondering if you have ever had problems with noise?

I have heard several people complain about the W7: "that the Anti-noise processing trades away some subtle subject detail" and that "Image noise somewhat higher than average. Some noise was present in the Sony W7's images, even at ISO 100. It was fairly fine-grained, but the camera was also apparently trading away some of the more subtle subject detail to hold the noise in check." http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/W7/W7A.HTM
All of this may just be Sony bashing due to loyalty to another brand.

Well anyway I'm asking because I need a replacment for my CP4500 and I am pondering between the W5 and the W7.

Thanks
Ben

Hi Ben,

If you want to test the differences in noise levels, go to a shop that has both models in stock and try taking a picture of a white surface - a sheet of paper will do fine. Do this in the shop with both cameras under the same lighting conditions at the same time. View the two images at 200% and greater on a screen and compare the "whiteness" of the images. The camera with the noisier picture will show as having more multi-coloured (non-white) pixels. Any decent camera shop will let you do this.

Both the W5 and W7 are very good cameras.

Regards,

Duncan.

I have a f717 and have recently tried digiscoping with it, it was a complete waste of money and effort. Now I wonder where to go from here. From what I have read the w5 etc. do not have manual settings, woundn't this be a problem. Ernie

Last edited:
erniehatt said:
I have a f717 and have recently tried digiscoping with it, it was a complete waste of money and effort. Now I wonder where to go from here. From what I have read the w5 etc. do not have manual settings, woundn't this be a problem. Ernie

Certainly does have manual settings. I use mine in "P" mode just about all the time though. No problems. Manual is easy t ouse if you want to go that way.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back