• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sorry - yet another tripod advice request (1 Viewer)

Micealh

Ireland
I returned to birding a few months ago after a long, long break. Since then I have bought a Kowa TSN-663M and should have read the sticky in this forum about tripods, as I have found my 33-year-old Slik D2 tripod a bit clunky, to say the least. I would appreciate some suggestions for a replacement tripod/head combo to go with the scope. I am looking at carbon, three sections and flip-up cams rather than threaded screw-in/out collets (I know, that’s contrary to what everyone seems to say, but I really find them much easier and I’m not specially heavy-handed with my gear). Weight is quite important, although not absolutely critical. I’m someone who likes to get about rather than sit in a hide half the day. Otherwise no preconditions. So far I have liked the look of In Focus’s Velbon Delta with PH157Q head (ST£368) and also the Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 with MVH500AH head. This second combination would would be beyond my budget at full RRP but there appear to be good discounts around, bringing it to around ST£420 in total. That’s my absolute max budget. Should I be looking at something else or, if not, which of these would you go for? I’m buying in the UK or Ireland. Many thanks to anyone experienced in the ways of modern tripods who can offer a thought or two.

Last edited:
Hi Micealh,

"The Center Column" did a comparison of twist locks vs. flip locks here: https://thecentercolumn.com/2019/06/22/twist-locks-vs-flip-locks/.
As far as stability is concerned, there was no significant difference, so I would not try to dissuade you from flip locks.
They also tested the MT055CXPRO3, which performed well and is very good value. Users here on the forum also rate the MVH500AH highly, so this combination would not disappoint and would probably also perform well with larger scopes. Manfrotto's spares availability is also an advantage not to be discounted.

John

"The Center Column" did a comparison of twist locks vs. flip locks here: https://thecentercolumn.com/2019/06/22/twist-locks-vs-flip-locks/.
As far as stability is concerned, there was no significant difference, so I would not try to dissuade you from flip locks.
Well, modern twist locks are quite different from the old ones, e.g. those on the Slik D2. Had one of those as well ages ago and yes, they were a hassle ... :cool: I'd still look at a modern tripod with twist locks.
Users here on the forum also rate the MVH500AH highly, so this combination would not disappoint and would probably also perform well with larger scopes.
As far as I remember the Kowa TSN-663M isn't that big and heavy. The MVH500AH may well be a bit of overkill for that scope.

Hermann

Well, modern twist locks are quite different from the old ones, e.g. those on the Slik D2. Had one of those as well ages ago and yes, they were a hassle ... :cool: I'd still look at a modern tripod with twist locks.

As far as I remember the Kowa TSN-663M isn't that big and heavy. The MVH500AH may well be a bit of overkill for that scope.

Hermann
Thanks Hermann. Any suggestions for alternatives?

Hi,

a 663 would be about the limit of what I would put on a 128RC. Not sure about the balance though. My 613 works well on the 128RC.

Joachim

I use a Leica APO62 - probably a similar weight to your Kowa - on a Manfrotto 700RC2 head with great success which I switched to after using a 128. The 128 is heavy, 'clunky' in operation and grossly overrated in my opinion. I think I still have it somewhere but wouldn't go back to it after using the 700RC2.

RB

I use a Leica APO62 - probably a similar weight to your Kowa - on a Manfrotto 700RC2 head with great success which I switched to after using a 128. The 128 is heavy, 'clunky' in operation and grossly overrated in my opinion. I think I still have it somewhere but wouldn't go back to it after using the 700RC2.

RB
Thanks for taking the time to offer a suggestion. All ideas going into the mix.

In my experience twist locks are more long-lasting than flip ones. I’ve had a couple of flip Manfrottos have the fastener break on me.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back