• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Africa Birds Nov 2016 (1 Viewer)

Frozen-in-MN

I've got just a few more to go through - thank you in advance for any ideas.

#1 - In Cape Town from hotel window at dusk. I'm thinking a Cape Crow? Also considered the ubiquitous Red-winged Starling, but I don't see a hint of red on it.

#2 - At a winery in the Paarl region. Was at the feeder at the same time as a Southern-masked Weaver, if that makes any difference.
I've scanned through all the seedeaters and still can't find one that has an orange bill and feet.

#3 - Kruger National Park. This was a LONGGGG ways away, but hopefully you can even see it at the center of the photo. Based on the dark breast band, white on head, and location, I think this has to be a Common Ringed Plover?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Unidentified - possible cape crow - Protea Cape Town - South Africa 2016-11-12 323.JPG
    Unidentified - possible cape crow - Protea Cape Town - South Africa 2016-11-12 323.JPG
    647.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Unidentified - Paarl -  South Africa 2016-11-14 219 - reduced.JPG
    Unidentified - Paarl - South Africa 2016-11-14 219 - reduced.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Unidentified - Poss Common Ringed-Plover Kruger - South Africa 2016-11-18 658.JPG
    Unidentified - Poss Common Ringed-Plover Kruger - South Africa 2016-11-18 658.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 49
Red-winged Starling may be the better option (huge size difference) red not visible in sitting birds
House Sparrow female
Looks mor like a Three-banded Plover to me

Red-winged Starling may be the better option (huge size difference) red not visible in sitting birds
House Sparrow female
Looks mor like a Three-banded Plover to me

Of course, a House Sparrow - they don't even bother showing that in the guide! Thanks, too easy.
Agree with starling too - knew it was most likely, but couldn't tell for sure.

I'll look at the Three-banded Plover closer.

Thanks for responding!

Agree with House Sparrow
Agree with female Red-winged Starling
The plover doesn't appear to have two bands on the chest, so could it be Common Ringed?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back