• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Birmingham misc sightings (1 Viewer)

Manor Farm Park 9am - 9.45am

Canada Goose
Mallard
Coot
Moorhen
Tufted Duck
Black-headed Gull
Stock Dove
Woodpigeon
Wren
Dunnock
Robin
Fieldfare
Redwing
Mistle Thrush
Blackbird
Goldcrest
Long-tailed Tit
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Nuthatch
Magpie
Jay
Carrion Crow
Goldfinch
Greenfinch

Flock of around 50 thrushes on the playing field at Queensbridge School, Moseley around 4.30pm. Mostly Redwings, couple of Mistle Thrushes, but I didn't have my binoculars to check them through properly.

Blackcap (M) back on our feeders this lunchtime, third winter in succession one of these has appeared.

Once the rain cleared, our feeders went mad - 18 species in about 20 minutes - more Chaffinches than I've seen in the garden all year, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Nuthatch in and out constantly, Green Woodpecker. Wonderful to watch.

Grey Wagtail along the footpath in Woodlands Park, Bournville this afternoon. Redwings in nearby treetops.
Also 10+ Redwings feeding on the muddy grass by the changing rooms at Rowheath Pavilion, along with the resident Mistle Thrush.

Just heard a small flock of pink-footed geese go over Bournville about 9:30pm. I almost thought it was some weird sound effect on that Han Solo film I was watching at the time!

Sadly threads become locked because of inactivity. They can be resurrected or a new one started you have to decide whether it’s worth bothering really...

A lot of ppl liase on Twitter, texts or WhatsApp these days.

If it’s a well-known and visited reserve then there is plenty of interest and at least info on those threads are a barometer for seasonal change and movement particularly during migration.

Add to that a large % of ppl just ‘goal hang’ and never actually get out to look and are quite happy to exist as semi-parasites on the 10% that ‘do’.

Tip: if you see somebody, usually festooned with camera equipment and not wearing binoculars, don’t give any info as they are likely to be the telephoto tapeworms looking for a new host;)

Thanks for the local notes and good birding:t:

Laurie -

Can't see any mention of it on here yet - Black Redstart reported on Cherington Road, Stirchley for the last couple of days.

Sadly threads become locked because of inactivity. They can be resurrected or a new one started you have to decide whether it’s worth bothering really...

A lot of ppl liase on Twitter, texts or WhatsApp these days.

If it’s a well-known and visited reserve then there is plenty of interest and at least info on those threads are a barometer for seasonal change and movement particularly during migration.

Add to that a large % of ppl just ‘goal hang’ and never actually get out to look and are quite happy to exist as semi-parasites on the 10% that ‘do’.

Tip: if you see somebody, usually festooned with camera equipment and not wearing binoculars, don’t give any info as they are likely to be the telephoto tapeworms looking for a new host;)

Thanks for the local notes and good birding:t:

Laurie -

We are almost at a point that there are too many sources out there - forums such as this, Twitter, Facebook, site / county blogs etc. Would still prefer to be in this situation that have a limited number of info services and release controlled (although the closed Whatsapp groups that exist in certain areas seem to be a throw back to that). For my part I keep the Upton thread updated but prefer the immediacy of Facebook and particularly Twitter to post live when I am out in the field.

We are almost at a point that there are too many sources out there - forums such as this, Twitter, Facebook, site / county blogs etc. Would still prefer to be in this situation that have a limited number of info services and release controlled (although the closed Whatsapp groups that exist in certain areas seem to be a throw back to that). For my part I keep the Upton thread updated but prefer the immediacy of Facebook and particularly Twitter to post live when I am out in the field.

Agreed. The amount of choice leads to another set of problems. I personally never use Facebook and no longer use Twitter this is to do with privacy and advertising issues and not to do with bird info. I like these forums but only when they work e.g. Upton Warren which is constantly updated by people like yourself:t: I have been guilty of letting my local threads mothballing but am now attending to that. The exponential growth in detailed information has, imho, led to problems of selfish behaviour from an element of the so-called birding fraternity that does not deserve access but we are where we are.

I have been considering a WhatsApp group but who do you approach? It’s a bit of a dilemma so i still text a handful of ppl that, like me, put the time in. I check Twitter for info but do not post - you find your own level that you are happy with i suppose.

Laurie:t:

BLACK REDSTART MALE still around Cherrington Road today,....coming very close at times but mainly in trees and rooftops opposite to the birders.

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 35
BLACK REDSTART MALE still around Cherrington Road today,....coming very close at times but mainly in trees and rooftops opposite to the birders.

Many folks around, Keith? There was a steady trickle yesterday morning, no more than five people at any one time. Uncomfortable spot for standing around with bins/cameras though, and it's only going to take one thoughtless individual for the local residents to become far less accommodating than they have been so far.

Many folks around, Keith? There was a steady trickle yesterday morning, no more than five people at any one time. Uncomfortable spot for standing around with bins/cameras though, and it's only going to take one thoughtless individual for the local residents to become far less accommodating than they have been so far.

Around 10 at one time today....had a few locals asking about it (us)….all seemed happy but we were not outside their house.

Whereabouts in Cherrington is it being seen please?

Rob

It's using the house with the feeder in the front garden (and surrounding trees / rooftops / gardens) at the north (Muntz Park) end of the road. Still there today, as per Twitter, usually a few other birders around.

Cheers,

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back