• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

south east Poland April (1 Viewer)

rob lee

Is there any one out there who knows anything about this region. I am hopefully going to be visiting the Bieszczady to Chelm region in late April & would appreciate any help on Owls/Woodpeckers. I know i may be early for stuff like River & Aquatic Warblers but what about G.Snipe? All info greatfully received.

Is there any one out there who knows anything about this region. I am hopefully going to be visiting the Bieszczady to Chelm region in late April & would appreciate any help on Owls/Woodpeckers. I know i may be early for stuff like River & Aquatic Warblers but what about G.Snipe? All info greatfully received.

Great Snipe can be well. great..in early spring (last few days of April) as the vegetation at the lek is much shorter and may even still be part flooded. So you can watch them display much more easily than in mid to late May. But that is based on visits a while ago- hopefully someone with more recent gen. will pop up. Good luck if you go!

Hi Ed, dont look like theres too much recent gen coming my way, i guess most people do the usual circuit further north. Were your G.Snipe from the Chelm area or did you visit further north too ?

Hi there,

Aquatic Wblr arrives late April/early May so you have a chance, River Wblr around mid May so a bit too late for you.

Great Snipe arrives around mid April so surely try it!

If you PM me I can give you an email to Przemek Kunysz - a well known local birder and a guide, maybe he could help with detailed locations of Owls and Woodpeckers. Myself I just go into the forests around Muczne for Grey-headed, black, 3-toed. For Ural Owl just try the main asphalt road from Muczne to Tarnawa at night. They often sit perched up the road lamps!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi Lukasz,
Sorry for the late reply but i havent checked this forum for a while due to the lack of response. We have now changed our plans & are going to do the usual Biebrza/Bialowiesza area as things seem to be more "pinned down"

We have now changed our plans & are going to do the usual Biebrza/Bialowiesza area as things seem to be more "pinned down"

Definitions of pinned down on the Web:

* "Pinned down" is a common military term for a unit that is currently being suppressed by enemy fire ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinned_down

|:D|What to say.. good choice anyway.. you won't regret the usual double B tour, for sure :)

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back