• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

south of Iraq - near to Basrah - warbler ID (1 Viewer)

yashar1981yr

dears
Please help me to ID these birds

1~4 same bird ( reed warbler or marsh or ...)
5,6 Clamorous Reed Warbler or Basra reed warbler or ...

also, there are some pictures that I think its common Nightingale or thrush Nightingale
( 7~10)

please tell me about ID code that I have to to pay attention to

Attachments

• IMG_8669 (3).JPG
    IMG_8669 (3).JPG
    545.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8670 (2).JPG
    IMG_8670 (2).JPG
    327.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8672 (2).JPG
    IMG_8672 (2).JPG
    666.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_8675 (3).JPG
    IMG_8675 (3).JPG
    784.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_8681 (2).JPG
    IMG_8681 (2).JPG
    622.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_8684 (2).JPG
    IMG_8684 (2).JPG
    659.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_8697 (2).JPG
    IMG_8697 (2).JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_8699 (2).JPG
    IMG_8699 (2).JPG
    2 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8706 (2).JPG
    IMG_8706 (2).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_8707 (2).JPG
    IMG_8707 (2).JPG
    872.2 KB · Views: 71
1-4 Not sure
5-6 It seems a Great Reed Warbler to me. Overall colour, face marks, strong bill, well-spaced primaries.
7-11 A greyer Common Nightingale. Among other subtle "field marks", wing-tip=P3

1-4 Not sure
5-6 It seems a Great Reed Warbler to me. Overall colour, face marks, strong bill, well-spaced primaries.
7-11 A greyer Common Nightingale. Among other subtle "field marks", wing-tip=P3
Agree with Tote but would add 7-11 looks good for 2cy Common Nightingale ssp africana. ; golzii should be excluded by combination of dark lores, ear coverts and upperparts, the worn, pale tips to coverts (median and greater) and upper tail coverts confirm age. Further, p2=p4/5 which is a tad long for golzii, rather than p2=(5/6) 6.

Grahame

there are 2 photos & 1 video from the first bird
I hope it will help to ID the first one

Attachments

• IMG_8721 (2).JPG
    IMG_8721 (2).JPG
    960 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8723 (2).JPG
    IMG_8723 (2).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • WhatsApp Video 2021-05-04 at 10.01.51.mp4
    5.3 MB
Great Reedarble wr, note the heavy bill thick legs & long wings.
Also in the video it moves move deliberately & slower than smaller warblers.
dear parker
As for the size of the bird, I am almost certain that it was about 12 to 13 centimeters, and on the other hand, the second bird that was identified as the "Great Reed warbler" is present in the area and can be seen much larger than this.

the small one is shown in the attached pictures
what's your idea about these

Attachments

• IMG_8732 (2).JPG
    IMG_8732 (2).JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8733 (2).JPG
    IMG_8733 (2).JPG
    741.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8736 (2).JPG
    IMG_8736 (2).JPG
    546 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Hi Yashar,

Unfortunately I haven’t had the use of a laptop for almost a year which means I’m viewing these photos on a very small screen.
The id of the Great Reed was fairly straightforward looking at the video which shows the fairly fierce look as well as the other points I mentioned.

As to the last bird the undertail coverts are long which fits with an acrocephalus warbler. The bill is fairly long & slim so I would suggest Reed Warbler, I think Marsh can be ruled out as the bill is to slim long & pointed. However other more experienced members with a decent size screen may have a different view.

I hope this helps.

Hi Yashar,

Unfortunately I haven’t had the use of a laptop for almost a year which means I’m viewing these photos on a very small screen.
The id of the Great Reed was fairly straightforward looking at the video which shows the fairly fierce look as well as the other points I mentioned.

As to the last bird the undertail coverts are long which fits with an acrocephalus warbler. The bill is fairly long & slim so I would suggest Reed Warbler, I think Marsh can be ruled out as the bill is to slim long & pointed. However other more experienced members with a decent size screen may have a different view.

I hope this helps.
It was definitely useful, you are absolutely right and I think I was wrong about the size of the bird in the video, but about the last three photos, the size of the bird was about 12 or 13 cm and other friends agree with Reed Warbler.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back