• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Ireland RFI (1 Viewer)

dogfish

Hello all,
I'm off to southern Ireland for the first two weeks of September; it'll be mostly birding. (My first birding holiday there). I wondered if anyone could suggest a single base that would be well placed for a decent number of the top sites? Cork ? Wexford?
I have Clive Hutchinson's Where to Watch Guide on order, have got Anthony McGeehan's seawatching article from Dutch Birding and have a general awareness of the reputation of sites such as Ballycotton and Tacumshin.

My mostly non-birding wife would quite like to stay somewhere pretty if poss...

Any information gratefully received.

Sean

I suggest you pick one of the pretty headlands - Kinsale for example as a base.... but stongly suggest you offer Harry lift to birding spots and then use him as a guide!

I stayed at Roscarberry at the end of August and mid autumn last year. It was a very nice place and the birding was pretty good as well.

It is very near to Galley Head which was really good even though by it's usual standards it was pretty poor due to the nice weather. All the estuaries in the area are crammed full of waders and there are an amazing number of Med Gulls.

Ballycotton isn't too far away either.

I'd reccommend Roscarberry thoroughly. The pubs are excellent as well and there is an amazing fish restaurant in the "Italian piazza like" centre that was one of the best meals I've ever had.

Hi Sean,
A wise choice of destination!May I recommend the Cork headlands from the Old Head west if you want to do some seawatching: Old Head,Galley and Mizen are all good in the right conditions.As Tom pointed out,the estuaries in between can be good(White's Marsh near Clonakilty often attracts American waders at high tide:last year it had Pec Sand,Lesser Yellowlegs and Semi-P Sandpiper),and of course all the headlands can attract decent passerines as well.
Don't forget to PM me if you want more information,and ring me if you get lucky....
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back