• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southwold Caspian Gull? #4&5 (1 Viewer)

JWN Andrewes

Poor Judge of Pasta.
Two almost adults. Eyes looked darker through bins, then revealed as pale on pics, but the bills look sort of washed out and fleshy. My least likely candidates, but I thought I'd ask the experts in the hopes of furthering my education!

Attachments

• 20220816133355_IMG_7532.JPG
    20220816133355_IMG_7532.JPG
    681.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 20220816134645_IMG_7631.JPG
    20220816134645_IMG_7631.JPG
    798.9 KB · Views: 70
My least likely candidates, but . . .
I write this in the hope that you may find it helpful...
I do wonder if it might be more productive/useful for you if you a) concentrated only on the individuals that you feel pretty sure (as sure as you can be!) are of the species you're asking about and b) for each bird give a list of your reasons for thinking/suspecting that ID.
That way, people can give you replies that specifically comment on the ID features that you're using. I can't help thinking that by posting (almost random??) photos of gulls and getting just a species name for them you are likely to learn very little (or nothing if you're anything like me!).

Meant with the very best of intentions:

I agree with Butty, however you can only ever be ‘pretty sure’ if you know the basics. This has been said time after time in birding, ‘it is absolutely essential that you learn to identify the common species first’, Herring Gulls in this case.

So, let’s reverse the question. Why do we call the birds on your photos Herrings Gulls?

Clue: it’s not because they don’t ‘look like’ Casps.

Best.

K

‘loads of gull stuff but certainly no expert’
flickr - gull albums

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back