• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SP Skua or Pom? Bocas, Panama (1 Viewer)

Kratter

This bird was photographed today in Bocas del Toro, Panama. South Polar Skua is very rare in the country; pomarine is fairly common. The pics show shape okay but few fieldmarks. When I first saw it, it appeared huge, very broad-winged, and short tailed. It was mainly dark brown ventrally and dorsally. I never saw the bill well. No tail projections, but many poms here now have lost central rectrices.

Thanks,
Andy Kratter

Attachments

• skua_or_pom.jpg
    skua_or_pom.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
No replies in 24 hours? I know the photo is pretty awful, but those with lots of experience should have an idea of whether this is a South Polar Skua or a Pomarine Jaeger. I could use a little enlightenment.

Andy

Difficult to be sure from the photo but it looks more like great skua (our equivalent of South Polar) on shape so it probably is - the only nagging doubt I have (and it may be photo effect) is that the tail looks a little full and longish - an imm pom with moulting central tail feathers could possibly have a tail like this. (there is a suggestion of missing inner primaries on the lower wing so the bird may well be in moult).

Cheers,
Andrew

My first impression was South Polar Skua as well(it's shaped like an eagle or a GBBG! Nice broad wings, short tail, etc), but I lack the experience to tell you with more confidency and the guts to guess first ;). I think asking the ID frontiers was a good idea, they know what they're doing.

I would go SP skua, you can make out the white marks on the wing that would indicate a SPskua. Other than that, just the overall appearance is just not right for a pom.

ps, forgot you people dont call them jaegers, almost just said skua and would have left out the SP and probably confused most of you 3:)

Hello, are you sure this is any skua/jaeger? Coz the shape looks wrong to me? I guess i could just about stretch to SPS?

Last edited:
My first impression was South Polar Skua as well(it's shaped like an eagle or a GBBG! Nice broad wings, short tail, etc), but I lack the experience to tell you with more confidency and the guts to guess first ;). I think asking the ID frontiers was a good idea, they know what they're doing.

Just to clarify, when I posted this I was under the impression that Bocas del Toro was on the Pacific side of the country. I don't have any experience with the skuas/jaegers, so I would have said "SP/Great/Brown" had I known.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back