• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Spacing blue tit boxes apart? (1 Viewer)

TheFifeFlyer

Scotland
Hi all,

I had a family in a north facing box that unfortunately fledged while we were away for a few days and missed the spectacle. Never had the boxes used before although plenty look over the yearss. This was a new addition so reckon the north facing aspect must have swung it. I know they fledged as I`ve already cleaned the box out. Hopefully, the magpies never got them but will never know.

Now I`ve got the bug, am thinking of setting up a box with camera. So my question is......can I put the new box up beside it, and hope they chose it. Or in a completely different spot a distance away but still north facing. Or, replace the original with the camera box?

Kits

Picture Picker
Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

There should be at least 20 feet between nestboxes. If possible, the ideal position should face north-east. We have two boxes; one is on a tree and the other is attached to the house and has a camera in it. We didn't want cables trailing across the garden.

TheFifeFlyer

Scotland
Thanks @Kits

Do you think they return purely for the location or the actual nest box? I`d be reluctant to swap them if it was the box they sought.

I`m thinking of doing a straight swap as the current spot has a large Photinia (red robin) plant below it and am thinking that`s the attraction. The other boxes are out in the open.

Attachments

• east facing.JPG
    11 MB · Views: 5
  • south facing.JPG
    11.5 MB · Views: 4
  • north facing.JPG
    12.7 MB · Views: 4

Kits

Picture Picker
It's the location rather than the box. Remember a very large number of birds nest in shrubs and hedges so birds aren't actually bothered about a box per se. Although we have two nest boxes, we also have had dunnocks, blackbirds and blue tits nesting in our wisteria which goes right along the back of our house, and there are thrushes nesting in shrubs and in the clematis on the front of our house.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread