• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spade Oak gravel pits & heronry (1 Viewer)

gindog

United Kingdom
was there yesterday afternoon. saw many pochard, tufted duck, black headed gull, 100's lapwing, heron, cormorant brent geese and 1 kingfisher seen flying low across the water of the main lake. apparently the kingfisher lices near the lae but feeds on the thames.

2 birds I could not ID, any ideas please?

1) 2 small geese or large ducks with white face, black beak, orangey yellow neck, brightly coloured bronze brown chest and body, black tail feathers.

2) small goose or large duck with red or dark pink beak and legs, white head, light brown top body, beige underbody (cleary lighter than the top feathers) long legs not a squat bird.

cheers

dave

Saturday afternoon in very cold weather and there were 5 common scaupe. Pointed out to me by other more serious birders.

Saw them, and that was a first for me. Having seen a Kingfisher last week I walked along the waters edge and scanned the branches hanging over the water thru my bins and lo and behold a Kingfisher, back to me about 50 yards away. Excellent, but before i could get the scope focused the walkers on the path had scared it off.

A good afternoon tho.

dave

Spotted a Kingfisher perched on a branch over the water. Saw it drop and within a second back up with a fish. Watched it for 20 minutes or so to see this twice, but missed other dives as my arms were resting. Well worth wating for though.

dave

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back